AHHHHH!!!!! frustration setting in......

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
adzidek

AHHHHH!!!!! frustration setting in......

Post by adzidek »

OK, so I removed and cleaned the TB, adjusted the TPS w/ the feeler gauges & multimeter (it's DEAD on now), and proceeded to adjust the idle. Here's what I did:

Turn off engine, and ignition.
Jumped TEN->GND
Turned on ignition. No error codes.
Turned on engine. Allowed to warm to operating temp.
Adjusted IAC screw to 700rpm (roughly).
Turned off engine and ignition. Removed jumper.
Cranked engine.

Here's the result. It seemed as if the ECU didn't take the change. It dropped my idle BACK to where it was (which was 500). On top of that, I go to drive, and my car is surging in neutral (when coasting, not at standstill). I.E. let's say I'm in 5th gear, 90kmph, and go into neutral. As I'm coasting, it'll surge between 1000 - 1500 rpm, rapidly.

At standstill, my idle is very high - about 1100 rpm. Ocassionally it'll drop to 500 again.

WTF is going on here? It's important to note that I have new CAPROTORPLUGSWIRES (installed a while ago, worked fine until the TB clean/idle adjust). HELP!!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

my friend's mx-3 did the same thing. 500 RPM and it'd jump to 1200 RPM. then back down. up and down. kinda fun. Did the usual tune up, still surged. I replaced the air intake tubing from the TB to the air box, adjusted it to 700, it idles very nicely now

make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, the hosing was quite cracked and such.

Might want to grab a cheap CAI from ebay, it's like 50 bucks, install it. You'll solve the any vacuum problems and get a bit of performance gain out of it. Might even solve "the surges"

I also heard it might be an issue wiht the brake booster? might wanna take a look into that, do a bit of research.
adzidek

Post by adzidek »

Thanks...

Although, before I adjusted the idle, it was running just fine. I mean, it was at 500 all the time, but no hesitating, no surging, nothing. I might just try to turn it back to where it was, and see what happens.

Anyone know how to "default" the base idle? What is it, something like all the way in and three turns out?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

It still sounds like a vacuum issue to me. Double check your hoses, make sure everything is looking OK, all the small hoses are connected/not cracked/not loose or what not. Make sure to check carefully around the TB, since that's where you've been working.

It shouldn't be that hard to locate if it is a vacuum leak. Its not like working on a '85 Nissan 720, which is akin to something pulled out of Powell's "Worlds most difficult maze" book when it comes to vacuum lines.
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

SuperK wrote:It still sounds like a vacuum issue to me. Double check your hoses, make sure everything is looking OK, all the small hoses are connected/not cracked/not loose or what not. Make sure to check carefully around the TB, since that's where you've been working.

It shouldn't be that hard to locate if it is a vacuum leak. Its not like working on a '85 Nissan 720, which is akin to something pulled out of Powell's "Worlds most difficult maze" book when it comes to vacuum lines.
Sounds like that to me too , Try spraying starting fluid in a mist form over crouds of vaccum hoses if if rev up at all chances are there is a leak ... Try to stay away from the intake though , because every time you spray near there it will rev .. Also inspect the air duct after the MAF sensor .. Because if there is a hole or a crack in it the MAF will be sending a false signal and the car will be getting more air then it is reading in , giving you a sparatic idle ..
Hope I helped
Kris
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
adzidek

Post by adzidek »

Sounds good. Tonight, I'm going to check for leaks, and possibly just set the idle back to where it was.

I'll post an update when done.

Any other suggestions are welcome!! I need all the info I can get!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

MazdaManiacMx3 wrote:
SuperK wrote:It still sounds like a vacuum issue to me. Double check your hoses, make sure everything is looking OK, all the small hoses are connected/not cracked/not loose or what not. Make sure to check carefully around the TB, since that's where you've been working.

Sounds like that to me too , Try spraying starting fluid in a mist form over crouds of vaccum hoses if if rev up at all chances are there is a leak ... Try to stay away from the intake though , because every time you spray near there it will rev .. Also inspect the air duct after the MAF sensor .. Because if there is a hole or a crack in it the MAF will be sending a false signal and the car will be getting more air then it is reading in , giving you a sparatic idle ..
Hope I helped
Kris

Hi Kris, this is Kris again. I'm glad we keep on the same page ;)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”