Will 14 inch steel wheel fit in the GS?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
rippledabs

Will 14 inch steel wheel fit in the GS?

Post by rippledabs »

I need a set of winter wheels. The yoko paradas is pretty scary in the snow.

I found some guy selling 14" steel wheel with some nice snow tires locally. I was wondering if anyone have tried to mount 14" rims in the GS. I am concerned about the brake caliper clearence. He lives about 30 mins away, so I just wanted to make sure so i dont waste time driving.

Thanks much.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

the GS will use 14" wheels. My old GS still has my old RS wheels on it, and they were 14"
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

For the most part the MX-3 uses the 22V14 calipers from the 1.8L 323H/B so a 14" wheel isn't an issue. Some of the 91 to early 93 GS's had the smaller 22V13 front calipers and rotors for the smaller engine 323's which means that you could put a 13" wheel on as well if your car is one that has these brakes.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

Yoda wrote:For the most part the MX-3 uses the 22V14 calipers from the 1.8L 323H/B so a 14" wheel isn't an issue. Some of the 91 to early 93 GS's had the smaller 22V13 front calipers and rotors for the smaller engine 323's which means that you could put a 13" wheel on as well if your car is one that has these brakes.
Once again vaughn u amaze me your knowledge of cars in general
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
rippledabs

Post by rippledabs »

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up getting a set of 15x6 Steel wheels with Michelin X-ICE. A little overkill for detroit snow, but the price was good.

I have 17" Motegi MR7s, and I was scared because it only looks like a 1 inch clearence from the calipers. But good to know that I dont have to worry.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

monty73741 wrote:
Yoda wrote:For the most part the MX-3 uses the 22V14 calipers from the 1.8L 323H/B so a 14" wheel isn't an issue. Some of the 91 to early 93 GS's had the smaller 22V13 front calipers and rotors for the smaller engine 323's which means that you could put a 13" wheel on as well if your car is one that has these brakes.
Once again vaughn u amaze me your knowledge of cars in general
Mazda's common production line creates a lot production variations that you wouldn't normally find on a dedicated assy line which is a good reason to look at even car closely. As far as general knowledge it helps that I travelled a lot internationally on business for my real job and cars is usually a common ground to talk about outside work.Nothing beats having your feet on the ground in another country look at something everybody else is only looking at on the net. On the side, I've worked at several of friends specialties garages, tuning shops and JDM importers when time allows. Many of these guys I have worked with over the years have moved on to bigger and better things. Through these contacts at theses shop, I have been contract work designing parts for a various aftermarket companies and have been asked to test and evaluate prototype parts for others. Have this kind of exposure to cars I have poked around or helped work on probably 150-200 MX-3 (AX-3, Presso and 30X) in the last 14 years in addition to all the other truck, rods, exotics, snowmobiles and the occasional vintage aircraft. In my past invilved work in Tech Intel so I am still in the habit of looking at and gathering much technical info about the object I'm looking at and in whatever time I have available, whether it be a competitor product, and new car or the next aircraft I might be getting on.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”