2007 Kelowna Trip Planning Thread

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Darcy

2007 Kelowna Trip Planning Thread

Post by Darcy »

Can we start a sticky thread?
Alberta Group - Trip Details - Click Here

<B>Meet Location</B>
  • Same place?
  • Same time? (I recommend avoiding afternoon rush hour as much as possible.) Let's plan our routes effectively. It will be busy. Especially if it's good weather.
<B>Accomodations</B>
  • Bear Creek? http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... arcrk.html
  • Hotels for those that want to avoid possible bad weather, drunken campers with jiffy markers and the great outdoors.
    I see that reservations don't open until April 1, 2007 so we have til then and a bit after to book for sites. It will be a busy weekend as people are full swing into holidays, so we should book several adjacent sites ASAP.
<B>Convoy information</B>
  • Vancouver Area
  • Seattle Area
  • Calgary Area
[/url]
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Holy Shight!
And I thought I couldn't wait for Kelowna....Geeez....
I was going to at least wait till April to put things into full swing. Well now that the all the kittens are out of the bag, we might as well go with planning. I do know that most of us would like to camp at Bear Creek camp grounds like you guys did last year. Tracy and I will be joining all of you all there since we think it would be more fun than staying at my Aunt's place.

As for the convoy, my personal preference would be to just leave early in the morning and miss all the traffic completely. If everyone would rather drive afternoon evening, that's fine with me. I know how everyone hates to wake up early, but I like being able to whip through the mountains without having to worry about all those stupid campers. It works better for keeping the convoy together too. But that's just my opinion. If we leave early morning, we get there around noon and can still enjoy the rest of the day. Saves time to pick up some groceries n stuff if we need to.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

Plus I need all the speed I can get to keep up with you guys and get to the top of some of the hills :roll: Early morning works best for me too as I start work daily at 6:00 AM so it won't be a struggle. Besides who can sleep for an event like this 8) Didn't check the link Darcy or James but perhaps since you are making plans, a map of where the meet is and a map of where the cmp ground is, in case some of us get left in the dust...
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1335558 UPDATED June 6,07
94 GS, Green Envy Pearl QUESTION: Does my car fit the RICE category?
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

cmon Stacy... I'M the one who cant keep up lol im like the only 1.6 RS in the club lol, only guy i can stay ahead of is james and thats casue his engine isnt in his car and its still close lol

in all seriousness though i got the car back today and it runs amazingly, everything is so smooth, and on a side note while cleaning the pistons before i threw the head back on i noticed they were all stamped 25.

So the bottom was done once before, the cylinder walls still had cross hatching on them it was great,

im in for kelowna just let me know the route so i can meet up with you calgary guys on teh way or something along those lines, i may come down to calgary and head out from there but we will see.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Don't worry, maps n stuff will be up well before hand. I'll show the departure points in Calgary plus Kelowna maps for everyone. This is really far in advance planning but it's good to be prepared. I'm not complaining.

With cruising at high speed, we only usually cruise around 130 -140km/h. A couple times during the trip, when there is a nice juicy speed stretch, we'll gun it a little up to 200km/h for a brief moment but we quickly slow down again to let everyone regroup. Most of the way (especially around Golden) we stick fairly close to the speed limit since there are lots of police and construction zones. I'm interested to see how that giant bridge thing in the middle of the mountains has come along. I think it was somewhere between Golden and Revelstoke. I believe Darcy took a picture of it Link. I hope my car will be running well after the rebuild. I'm sure everyone will still be able to hear when I'm pulling out to pass on the highway; only this time -minus the smoke. :lol:
Last edited by wyldside on January 29th, 2007, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

no brain no pain

Post by no brain no pain »

Man I can’t wait either! Yea early mornings are good because it can get frustrating keeping everyone together in heavy traffic. Plus there are fewer cops along the road in the morning :) Man I am so excited!!!!!! :D
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i'm the one who probably can't wait the most!!! bah ahha

umm so what were the dates gonna be now??

definately leave early in the morning again even though it sucks gettin up that early totally worth it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I don't know about everyone else, but that afternoon sun puts me to sleep. Another good thing about leaving in the morning is that the sun isn't in your eyes; it's usually always behind you.

I think the plan is to leave Early Morning Thursday, July 12th and return sometime on the 17th.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

WOW, i forget that its almost a week long event for you guys. heck it takes me 8 hrs. But i cant wait! going to be lots of fun. defintaly going up a day or two early. im going to look into maybe renting a house for a couple days. Camping wouldent be too bad either. do they have showers there? I guess i could look at the web site.

edit: well that awnsered that question. :)
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Well it only takes us a bit less than 7 hours if we have very short stops. We just like to get the most out of the trip. That's why we're staying for a whole week this time. Last year, when we got back home, we already wanted to go back.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Darcy

Post by Darcy »

There were showers at Bear Creek, and most campgrounds have showers anyway.

Here's to no speeding for the trip ;)
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

And as of Jan 31, Jen will be able to legally drink in BC. Happy Birthday Jen!

I got this text message on my cell phone last night...
That was on Jen's Birthday Cake! How awesome is that! :D
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

hey guys. i've been kinda trolling around on here throughout the winter, but am going to try and make more of an appearance on the forums again.

anyways, really looking forward to kelowna this year. i'll have a few really nice surprises to show off this time around. also, planning on spending the whole weekend in kelowna, so hopefully i can crash with you guys again or something. maybe darcy will avoid the sharpie this time around, :P .
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

If you want, you can even crash with some here in Calgary the day before we leave for Kelowna. Then you can drive with us and that would help make your trip a little more enjoyable.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

wyldside wrote:If you want, you can even crash with some here in Calgary the day before we leave for Kelowna. Then you can drive with us and that would help make your trip a little more enjoyable.
that would be tons of fun, but i'll already be in kamloops at the time. i love to drive, but i think i'll stick to my current 1 hr to kelowna. :P :driver:
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”