belts

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
alreadydefective

belts

Post by alreadydefective »

ok, so im pretty sure im supposed to have more than 1 belt, since there is a tensoner for the one from the top (the one that goes to the alt)

but whats the other one called, cause somehow, its missing, and i think that just may be the problem im having, im pretty sure it was there when i put the one on the alt (dont know belt names), but the one in back, where the tensoner is on the bottom :-( (atleast i found this before too much trouble)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

ignore the "i need this bolt" text.
alreadydefective

ok, on that picture, where the red circle is on the right, that piece of metal that holds the tensoner on (the bottom one for the belt im missing), about how much would that run me, or would i be better off going to a junkyard and finding a new one? and whats it called btw
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

If that's what you are talking about, thats the AC. I mean, whats missing in the right red circle is the AC :roll:
AC uses the same belt as alternator, but it must be the regular size. Just go to a shop and ask for an alternator belt with AC for a GS. Thats around 10 bucks I guess.
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
alreadydefective

no, not that, what im looking at is the piece with the screw (10mm i think) that tightens the belts in,
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No he is talking about the power steering pump bracket.. the tensioner bolt can easily break the bracket if its tightened or loosened while the pulley lock bolt is still tight. The pulley lock bolt is the bolt that goes through the center of the pulley itself. Big bolt.. like 17mm or larger. The tensioner adjustment bolt is small sized.. 10mm I think. If the bracket is cracked or broken.. you will need to get a new one.. either from a junk yard (they are plentiful) or from Mazda directly (they are spendy $85 or so US.. and yeah.. I know from experience LOL)

The good news is.. you can get the PS bracket from pretty much any K or KL series mazda V6 from either the V6 versions of the 626, Probe GT, MX-6 (93 or later)

Here is a pic of the bracket removed from the car...

The red arrow is pointing where you would find the 10mm tensioner adjustment bolt. The Yellow arrow is pointing at the slot where the tensioner pulley slides up or down to tighten the belt. And the white line is a indicator as to where these things like to crack.

Hope this helps

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

i thought he said red circle on the right....

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
alreadydefective

i did, but what i saw was the closest looking thing, and yeah, thanks for letting me know, i know a few 626's at the junkyard, mx-3's arnt quite so popular here as i wish they we're... but since i can get them from others, then i know where im going tomorrow before class :-), thanks a bunch
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

if you need still it, i can pick up one from my friends shop. the same thing happened to me on sunday except the one tensioner bent the other one broke at "the white line" thats why put the text into the picture with the tensioners circled.

i found it is best to loosen the pulley slightly so that you can adjust the tensioner bolt easily then retighten the pulley when you have the right tension

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”