I'm thinking of leaving the MX3 game

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

I'm thinking of leaving the MX3 game

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Well, as of now I am thinking of selling my MX3 after it gets painted then going for a RS. So as of now, I'm leave the V6 game
BP engines just have alot more potential.

At the same time I am also looking in 1993-1999 Imprezas. One interesting thing, besides the fact that they are AWD, is that they have the option of swapping to a STI setup
300hp/300ft torque on a 2500lb AWD car sounds insane.

I'm not quiet sure yet though.
I hope I can sell my MX3 for atleast $2000
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

good luck man, i beat sti's all day and i dont even have 300 hp : )

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

Good luck getting an AWD Impreza to 2500 lbs, I've never seen a streetable Impreza under 2800 lbs. FWD could maybe get close.

Plus, have you driven a WRX, STi or not? The lag is unbearable, and they're great big understeery pigs. You have to do a LOT of work to them to get close to the MX3's stock tossability, and then the car will be way too harsh for normal street driving (IMO, and I'm an autocrosser who's always driven the race car daily).

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, but if AWD turbo fun is your goal, get a GTX. I'm still regretting selling mine before moving to TX.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
http://www.generic-racing.com
illapino

Post by illapino »

not to mention, as i have pointed out before: SUBARU'S ARE ALL UGLY !!

get a skyline or a supra for perhaps cheaper and get twice as much power after some work ... without losing your dignity
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

A skyline or supra? He's not loaded with cash. I like WRX/Sti myself
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

illapino wrote:get a skyline or a supra for perhaps cheaper and get twice as much power after some work ... without losing your dignity
Whoa, Jack. Skylines and Supras are still a little pricey for anyone to call "cheap." Bang for buck, a $6k A4 Quattro with the 1.8T is still a pig, but plenty quick with some light mods and more boost, and awfully useful if it's an Avant. Hell, good condition highish mileage E36 M3s are showing up for well under $10k down here in sunshine land, non-M E36s for $5-6k.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
http://www.generic-racing.com
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Like I said, I am not sure yet. Have you ever heard of the Brighton Impreza 1996 to 1997? Those weigh almost 2600lbs

AWD > FWD on everything

Yet, like I said, I am not sure yet on what to go for.
I been rethinking and I think I might stay in the V6 game.
I still need to sell my MX3 for another V6 Manual though

I am not sure yet though. The only thing that is intiminating of the BP swap with a turbo is all the work I am going to have to do to put a turbo system on a BP.
Espically all the fuel managment crap. It seems way much simpler to go for a V6 then a KLZE swap
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

engine mangement u NINIIIIIIIIII
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

the kl does have more potential considering both fully built. in stock form tho the bpt is definately better bang for the buck in terms of power output and money spent to get it. if you turbo a kl tho, you can safely make just as much power as a bpt with stock turbo at peak psi efficiency and bolt ons. its pretty cheap to turbo the kl nowadays. 4cylinder throttle response just isnt for me i guess. have you driven a bpt?? its probably more worth it to just turbo a bp with a aftermarket manifold and an ems. miata's are doing fine with that path.

jbaysinger wrote:Good luck getting an AWD Impreza to 2500 lbs, I've never seen a streetable Impreza under 2800 lbs. FWD could maybe get close.

Plus, have you driven a WRX, STi or not? The lag is unbearable, and they're great big understeery pigs. You have to do a LOT of work to them to get close to the MX3's stock tossability, and then the car will be way too harsh for normal street driving (IMO, and I'm an autocrosser who's always driven the race car daily).

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, but if AWD turbo fun is your goal, get a GTX. I'm still regretting selling mine before moving to TX.
even if the mx3 feels tossable, the sti still clocks very good times. ive seen sti's on street tires clock times very close to r compound users.
Boris

Post by Boris »

never raced an sti, but around corners i was keeping up to my friend's lowered wrx when i first got my stock mx3. Those things supposedly understeer a hell of a lot. I was keeping up with stock suspension (and a broken front spring haha). But then again I tend to drive like an a--hole
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

He never said anything about an STi. He said a 2.5RS with the STi motor swap. Those things haul a-- and AWD is always better than FWD. I'd say go with the 2.5RS. I've been looking at those myself for a project car. I'm just starting to get sick of the FWD and its lack of traction. I was gonna turbo my ZE but then why have all the power and not be able to hook it up??
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Actually, I am going to forget getting a Impreza and then swapping a STI engine in it. Its waaaaaaaaay too much money (about $10k)
For all that money, I can do a crapload to a ZE or BPT

At this moment, I am still doing research. So far the 4cyl MX3 idea is winning.
*In the future, if I wish to mod a engine to 300hp, I know the BPT wont have a problem with that. The ZE or DE... well I better becareful.
*However, the cool thing about a V6 MX3, is that... ITS A V6
Whenever I tell someone my car is a V6, they dont believe it until they see it. A V6 on a little hatchback is really unique and it doesnt sound like any other 4cyl car
*Both are about equally powered. But I like the idea of having a Turbo! Put a BOV on a BPT... BROOOOOOM.. PSSSSH! BROOOOOOM.. PSSSSH!
*4 Cyl MX3s are about 100lbs lighter i believe and have more room in the engine compartment
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

i hpoe it will be vrooom, not brooom lol
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
kev259

Post by kev259 »

I've got both a mx3 and a sti. I love the sti with a passion. The understeer is there, but if you've driven one for long enough you can actually use it to your advantage. Plus STI drivetrain in the snow is unstoppable! super fun to have the ability to lock the trans up with there's a foot of powder outside.
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I wish I could afford a STI
Those things are sick
But as of now, it seems like I might stay in the V6 game. I could probably get a KLDE, turbo it in the future. KLDEs are about $300 at junkyards with the ECU
Or, for about $500 more I can get a KLZE with the right ECU and VAF.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”