Rear speakers not that great

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Graphixv

Rear speakers not that great

Post by Graphixv »

I know the speakers I got are not the best brand in the world, I'm not looking for thumping bass...just decent performance.

I have a Panasonic 4 way 40 watt head.

I replaced the two front speakers with 2 pyle 5.25 speakers. Max 120 watts(yeah right). These speakers actually sound pretty decent.

I expected the new rear speakers to sound better than the smaller front.
I put in two Pyle 6.25 speakers max 300 watts(yeah right). I got them mounted with two existing holes lining up and drilling a third hole for all three screws, so they are mounted in the factory holes.

Problem, the front smaller speakers actually seem to sound more rich than the rear. The bass sounds better. I'm still checking phase but I checked the wiring during installation. I'm not driving the amp up.

Is rear speaker bass poor in general because of the enclosure? Would changing the wiring make a marked difference?

It's not bad, just not as good as the front. I thought the larger speakers would have more bass than the front.

Thanks

GRX
WNM
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I also had changed the rear speakers in my car.
Focal kit up front, DLS kit rear + sub.
But, then I removed the rear seats, so I ripped out the rear speakers aswell.
A lot better sound.
For me the rear speakers messed up the balance of the sound in the car.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
hharb

Post by hharb »

when building a good system for an mx3, i'd recommenf ditching the rear speakers and installing powerful front speakers, possibly amp them, and have a nice sub or two in the back, the rear speakers are quite useless and bypassing them would save you alot of trouble and money without comprimizing the quality of the sound system, in most cases it actually makes your system sound better. I'm obviously talking about a decent sound system, not a crazy 4k one.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
chew*

Post by chew* »

Vanished wrote:2 words.

Rear. Fill.

Click me to learn about rear fill
2 words for you. Poor location.........

Rear fill only works if the speakers in a good location.....If not it actually hinders sound quality. In the case of the mx-3 the rear panels that give the rear seat a wrap around look would be the best location. The factory location is useless.

The bass response is poor with the rear speakers for 2 reasons in the mx-3. 1 being the enclosure if you want to call it that is poor. 2 being that the mx-3 needs rear firing to get good bass response, anything fired up sounds lack luster whether it be 4 12"s or 2, 6 1/2 components. I've studied this cars response for quite some time and trust me I know what im talking about. Who else here can say they hit 150 db in an mx-3 with a single sub and actually prove it............

BTW 4 12" subs ( JL audio w3 v3 ) hit 145.7 fired up and 2 12" w3v3 fired rear hit 149.3 any questions? both boxes were ported and 2 amps were used for the 4 speaker setup and 1 amp was used with the 2 speaker setup.

This is on the newer audio control windshield sensor, not the old floor mic, it hits 155.2 on the older mic which is preety much average as people tend to hit 6db less on the newer meter.
Graphixv

Post by Graphixv »

Damn, :cry:

Too bad I didn't read that article before. Not only do the rear speakers not provide more bass than the front, they are also the slightly more expensive woofer, midrange, tweeter 3 ways. I have already turned the tremble down on the stereo because it sounded too tinny. I could have saved money by getting some non coaxel.

Now I am thinking I might put some kind of filter material over the face to block some highs.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the other placement option to rear fire the speakers is practical. What if I seal the location better and port them toward the rear? I have some padding, some left over speaker ports and a drill hole saw.

Getting decent sound into my girlfiend's tracker was a piece of cake, two 6.5 blapunks in the rear side panels and the things Really Kick. And...she has a crappy stock head!
WNM
chew*

Post by chew* »

Nah it would be a waste of time, and permanently alter your rear plastic panels. bIf you want to do altering install them in the plastic panels on the side of the rear seat, there is metal behind them that can be cut out.
Graphixv

Post by Graphixv »

Ok,

Sounds good. Sounds like a job for new wiring and a jig saw. Glad I pulled those speaker grills out of the trash.

N
WNM
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

I know this is an old topic, but building on chew*'s speakers behind the back seat panel, this is where i had mine for the last 6 years and love the sound from the positioning. Here are a couple pics without the panel on and with the new designed panel.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”