KLZE thermostat housing help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dukem2

KLZE thermostat housing help

Post by dukem2 »

i was wondering if i could take the thermotsat housing from the K08 motor and swap it with the one on my KLZE? the klze doesnt have the extra connector that i think turns on the fans. its the black wire leading to the connector which plugs in on the flat surface utop of the thermostat housing on the K08 motor. anyone kno wat im talking about? thnx
KL-ZE 1993 MX-3 GS, lightweight flywheel, cone filter. 155 whp, 160 wheel torque
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

the part you are describing yea it can be switched, fyi the thermostat is on the other side of the motor.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

if your using a ZE ecu it will be a waiste of time as they dont even use that sensor
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Mnemonic wrote:if your using a ZE ecu it will be a waiste of time as they dont even use that sensor
Are you sure about that. I believe the OP is descibing the wrong thing. It's the coolant filler neck where the green and black thermosensors reside on the K8 but is defficient of one on the ZE filler neck. It's generally written in the ZE swap How-To's to do the migration of the K8 filler neck to the ZE OR drill and tap the blank boss area and install one's self. Both of those thermosensors are use I believe. One for the ECU required info and one for triggering the fan. Have I been wrong all these years?

BTW, Dukem2, the thermostat is not (like most other vehicles) located under that coolant filler neck housing. It's on the opposite side of the ZE engine, just below and to the rear of the distributer, just ahead of and below the TB an just above the tranny housing.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If using a ZE motor AND ECU why would you need to Add a sensor. ;)
The ZE ECU is made to use two sensors instead of being redundant and having three. One for the ECU to know the temp and one to turn the fans on and off.
So, you need to swap the filler neck if using a K8 or KL-DE ECU, but not if using a KL-ZE ECU as Brian said.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote: So, you need to swap the filler neck if using a K8 or KL-DE ECU, but not if using a KL-ZE ECU as Brian said.
Now I remember why I migrated mine. I started off using the KL01 ECU and the KL02 VAF. Sheesh, I'm losing it ........ LOL.
Sorry Brian :oops:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
dukem2

Post by dukem2 »

thnx for the replys guys. yea m'bad, it's called the filler neck. im using the K08 ecu with a je50 vaf. sometime down the road i plan on using a different ecu and vaf, as i heard the ecu and vaf for the K08 motor make the KLZE run a little rich. so go ahead and swap the filler necks then?
KL-ZE 1993 MX-3 GS, lightweight flywheel, cone filter. 155 whp, 160 wheel torque
precidian

Post by precidian »

I swapped out the JE50 for a KL-02 .. and it runs perfectly.. still running the stock ECU.
. that will change in the spring when I install the KL-36..then back to the JE50.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

precidian wrote:I swapped out the JE50 for a KL-02 .. and it runs perfectly.. still running the stock ECU.
. that will change in the spring when I install the KL-36..then back to the JE50.
I noticed very little differences myself but I didn't leave the KL01/KL02 combo in long enough to make an appreciable assessment.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”