Recomendations for a 1st car.

Off-Topic Discussions
Señor MX-3

Recomendations for a 1st car.

Post by Señor MX-3 »

hi, my sister is about to get her license soon ....i hope :?
and i want some recomendations on a cool car for her...something that she can do some mods to. I've been looking for 86-91 rx7's, some miata's, 240sx. Something cool...and that i can also steal once in a while. her budget i believe is 2000 popers so i'm not sure what good deals she can get i know rx7's are pretty easy to comeby in those prices. so just let me know some ideas you guys might have. One thing that i have left out is that she did buy a vehicle that she never drove...i did cuz she couldn't so i was a cab driver for her. It was a 99 Daewoo Leganza...bad decision. parts for that vehicle have to either be ordered directly from dealer and if they don't have it...it's off to Korea. Pretty expendy when it comes to maintenance too...and not fun at all...auto, sedan...an old lady car is what i'd think of it. So i got her psyched up on driving a stick after a few very convincing talks about auto trans...hehe. So i'm looking on getting her a vehicle like that...fun, with aspirations for mods, and stick.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You sure getting her a RWD car as a first car is a good idea? She doesn't even had her license yet....well, you can get FWD 240's.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
bubsy83

Car reccomend

Post by bubsy83 »

I don't think that it is so bad to learn how to drive RWD as a beginner. Back in the day some of us older members had no choice on the matter and learned RWD. My sister never had that benefit and now she is driving a Monte Sport Coupe from the '80's with RWD and she hates it, 'cause she can't control it.
As for what kind of car she should get...I am a strong believer in buying exactly what YOU want and not what others tell you what you should have. I have wasted more money on cars in my lifetime on buying almost what I want but not quite The car. I am not trying to appear like I am yelling or trying to be rude. Background to this was 6 months ago, I wanted a MX-3 and I was told to give my $1500 to a salesperson I know to go to an aution and he will get me something worth $1500. Nope, I don't think so...I did not want to end up with a Buick Lesabre or some other old lady car. I am not that old yet. My point is she should buy exactly what she wants, if she needs help in deciding which car is the best, make a list of pros and cons like how much the vehicle costs in maintenance and parts, fuel economy, and so on. Being a chick myself though, I would say shemay want something with some style. Good luck finding the car! :D
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I'm astounded.....

You didn't even MENTION an mx-3. Hahah.. Ok well, it's hard to say what exactly you shoudl get her. I take it you don't get snow there, so RWD isn't a BAD idea. Why not an mx-3? Alot of girls and guys love em. It's a good car to work one, original, reliable, good on gas. If your limit is 1500, you coudl find an mx-3...but it would need work. You could try other old cars, maybe old 300zxs, old 240's, old rx-7's...pontiac fieros are cool cars as well, dont' ask me why. Don't get anything too old, because paint was known to suck backl then and give way to alot of rust. ESPECIALly hondas.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Señor MX-3

Post by Señor MX-3 »

Vanished wrote:I'm astounded.....

You didn't even MENTION an mx-3. Hahah.. Ok well, it's hard to say what exactly you shoudl get her. I take it you don't get snow there, so RWD isn't a BAD idea. Why not an mx-3? Alot of girls and guys love em. It's a good car to work one, original, reliable, good on gas. If your limit is 1500, you coudl find an mx-3...but it would need work. You could try other old cars, maybe old 300zxs, old 240's, old rx-7's...pontiac fieros are cool cars as well, dont' ask me why. Don't get anything too old, because paint was known to suck backl then and give way to alot of rust. ESPECIALly hondas.

well since i have an mx3 already there's no sense on having another one of the same vehicle. mine cost me under 2 G's and it's good and reliable though the paint was bad...painted already...so yeah i live in Oregon so there's not much snow in my area...only rain....i learned on a rwd and it was easy...and i don't think she'll be racing anytime soon to say she'll fish tail the car. yeah i'm looking at 2nd gen rx7's 85-90...they're sweet and she does like them...also thinking on others cuz of gas mileage. my mx3 in a trip to Vancouver,Canada gave me 38-40mpg....i left the border with a full tank and got to my house and had 2-4 gallons left...though my is a sohc 4cyl 1.6l....hehe...not alot of horses i supposse...looking for that swap...though long ways away...till the engine is completly lifeless.

but yeah thanks all for your input.

still looking foward to getting a cool car for her. hopefuly she doesn't go with a honda. or some weird brand that i have no idea of. hehe
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

just get her daily dependable driver with lower miles. Something that she wont have to be fixing every day. Even if its little civic, get good gas mileage
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Señor MX-3

Post by Señor MX-3 »

update: my sis has decided on this 3 cars either of them it'll do. Toyota corolla, Nissan Sentra, Dodge Neon.
I'm rooting for the neon. good little machines, rather cheap if it needs something. styling is good. plus a newer model of those can be found and acquired for not too much. thank goodness for craigslist.
Boris

Post by Boris »

I've heard great things about corollas. Supposedly they're extremely reliable.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Boris wrote:I've heard great things about corollas. Supposedly they're extremely reliable.
my ex girl has one with 500K+ miles on it.

Never driven a nissan, but i'd definatly take the corolla over the neon.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Señor MX-3 wrote:update: my sis has decided on this 3 cars either of them it'll do. Toyota corolla, Nissan Sentra, Dodge Neon.
I'm rooting for the neon. good little machines, rather cheap if it needs something. styling is good. plus a newer model of those can be found and acquired for not too much. thank goodness for craigslist.
dear god no, horrible cars. I'd classify them in the same category as Cavalier/Sunfires, or even worse. Headgaskets are common issues, wiring as well. The newer ones aren't so bad (sx 2.0's and such), but you can't compare a Neon to a Toyota or Nissan, that's just wrong.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Señor MX-3

Post by Señor MX-3 »

well yeah neon going 99+ on them since those have the new headgasket type and some other things...yes i'm going for the neon cuz they're rather good looking. hehe...but by far if i were to choose from american to japanese i'd go japanese. but anything it'll be better than a daewoo anyways. and well it's not my choice anyways...it's hers she also likes the toyota tercels.

looks like she's changing her likes and dislikes again.

i'll keep that in mind about the corolla...i'm pretty sure she'll be pretty amazed herself. my car the mx-3 is at 202k so far and still good hehe same motor...afterwards swap. hehe...i'm hoping my sis becomes interested in the car scene.

Return to “Off-Topic”