When you buy an engine...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
666raCing

When you buy an engine...

Post by 666raCing »

For starters, i'm totally new. i dont know anything about the mechanical part of the car, just the exterior parts, ect.

when i buy an engine, what do i need to buy with it. i'm talking transmission, ect, stuff like that. i'm planning on putting in the KLZE in spring. so i have time to save and plan.

what do i need when i get an engine swap? please help me out.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

You'll need a millenia intake manifold if you get a KLZE with the long neck manifold unless you modify it so that it doesn't hit the brake booster.

You'll need a KLZE ECU.

You can bolt your current transmission onto the new engine.

Most of the time you spend doing an engine swap (at least your first time) is spent getting the right tools or parts... For example, It took me two days to get the axle nuts off because I didn't have the right tool; I had the 32mm socket and a breaker bar, but, that wasn't enough. It took a couple of minutes with a good impact wrench to get them of (first time only). If you can afford them, I personally recommend getting an air compressor and some air tools. Don't get just any impact wrench...make sure it puts out at least 500ft/lb.

You should fill your engine mounts with polyurethane or get MazdaSpeed ones from corksport or both :)

Another small thing, axle cv boot clamps (the big size) and a tool to clamp them on. Don't get the ones that only use plyers instead of the special tool. They just plain suck and don't go on tight.

You should definately replace your heater hoses while the engine is out. It's just so much easier with the engine out :)

Replace all of the vacuum lines and connect them tightly before putting the new engine in. (again, so much easier with the engine out)

Engine hoist of course.

There are some things that I probably won't remember to mention, but, if I remember any more, I'll post them.

Good luck :)
Last edited by Custom_V6_Limited_SE on December 4th, 2006, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

O, another tip, be very careful around the brake booster when putting engines in or pulling them out. If you break it, you can't just buy the reservoir, you have to buy a whole new unit and you better hope that a junk yard has one...Mazda's prices are INSANE.

Another thing I noticed was that my friend and I used about 14 rolls of paper towels recently when we pulled his DE out and redid the head gaskets and a bunch of other stuff. Try to find some really good hand cleaner. Top Grit works really well. Stock up on cleaning supplies.

It is always better to be safe than sorry. One small mistake can cost hundreds of dollars (primarily when lifting the engines in and out). Always have multiple people checking to make sure everything is disconnected and clearing as you very slowly lift or lower the engine.

Keep everything very organized. You'd be surprized how much time you can waste looking for a wrench or the right bolt.
Last edited by Custom_V6_Limited_SE on December 4th, 2006, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

For the ECU but a probe GT ecu.. cheaper. I got one for like 40 dllrs a long time ago. The get it chipped for around 60. Better results and cheaper. 1stProbinator is the guy to find there.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”