different disty caps

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Qrusher

different disty caps

Post by Qrusher »

i just got my new cap from rockauto today and it looks alot different then my other cap. the contacts are noticably smaller and the thing in the middle is very tall compared to my old one. anyone else have this? and what can cause a rotor to become burnt on the tip? thanks
-Dan

new cap

old cap

heres a picture of the rotor that is burnt. its kinda blurry sorry
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

From the look of the pictures I would guess you got a cheap replacement part. They might be smaller but they will work just fine.

The center peice you are asking about on your old cap is broken. Its made of graphite and breaks very easily and the new one is intact which is why there is the size discrepency. The graphite can also build up on the rotor as well, which might be part of your problem. The other part is that it could be carbon built up from the thousands of times the spark has had to arc over if there was a gap present and they were close enough to have it arc over but not touching. If the cap was run forever and a day, it might have just been worn flat and everything scene above is normal wear and just needs to be reaplced.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”