Import Preferences

Off-Topic Discussions

Which of the following cars would you prefer to import.

Fairlady Z TT
18%
RX7 TT
61%
Mitsubishi GTO TT
No votes
Silvia 2.0T
4%
180SX 2.0T
4%
Celica GT-4/GT4 RC
14%

Total votes: 28

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Import Preferences

Post by jschrauwen »

Since the 15 year import window (Duty Free into Canada) is emerging onto some nice cars from Japan, I've been considering some possibilities. I'm kind of focused on one particular type but thought I'd throw this out for discussion. I'd prefer that we stick to the cars that I selected since those seem to be the (IMO) best options available for 1991 RHD cars to import. I'd like a brief reason of your preference would be(or stay away from).
BTW, I'm focusing on a 1991 Fairlady Z TT.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Boris

Post by Boris »

I love the fairladies too... they're one of my favorite cars, and if money isn't an issue, then that would be the car I'd get too. If you're concerned about price, I've heard of some incredible deals with the celica gt4's.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

The fairlady at Importfest was really nice John .. first time seeing one up close .. I can understand why you like it so ...

For me I go with the looks of the car .. I know most of you out there go for what's under the hood and then the body style. The colour of the car is important too .. if those cars let's say were in black they could look great but seeing them in white the eye appeal may not be as good (colours were just an example .. hehe)

My choice is the RX 7 TT .. I just love the lines of it. It's just ... SHARP!!!

Second choice .. after looking up all of the cars on your list John .. I would say the Fairlady .. she is nice.

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

One car i though was really cool was a Nissan Pulsar GTIR, saw a guy driving it at SoloII this year. You could also get a 323 GTR ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Boris

Post by Boris »

I'm surprised to see you straying away from the most popular (or one of them) japanese car import... not interested in the skyline r32? MarkIV supras are almost available too, although they'll probably cost a fortune
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Boris wrote:I'm surprised to see you straying away from the most popular (or one of them) japanese car import... not interested in the skyline r32? MarkIV supras are almost available too, although they'll probably cost a fortune
I think I forgot to add that one ...... duhhhh :x Skyline GTR would also be a good choice too. Although after seeing the number of RHD imports at Importfest in Toronto last weekend, it appears that there's an abundance of them (Skylines) hitting these shores. Whereas, there was only one 300ZX in the whole show and it was LHD. It seems that the Fairlady Z would be a more obscure attraction.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Boris

Post by Boris »

Yeah I agree that the skylines are overdone... I've only seen one markIV supra in ontario so far though :D

What about the corolla AE86? I know stock they're pretty low hp, but they can be incredibly fast track cars with a bit of money!
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

there are alot of skylines but here in bc i have only seen one gtr. off your list i would go with the rx7, then the silvia, then the fairlady. on another note i have not yet seen a toyota soarer?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I am not a Nissan fan so I would probably take either the RX-7 or the Celica. Guess it would depend on my budget and the mileage. Rotary engines while awesome for power to weight ratios do have a reputation for being high maintenance and costly to maintain as well. So while I would prefer that car if money was no object.. I'd probably take the celica just for reliabilities sake.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
illapino

Post by illapino »

how could u even ask? RX7 FD all the way. headlight conversion and ur done!

there are about 3 skylines in my city... they're like a fable whenever i see one: kitted or not, i just stare and go OOOOOOooo ! sometimes three of them (different colors) follow each other around the harbor

might as well wait like 5 more years and import an R34 ! (please?)

it epitomizes japanese imports
the most japanese looking car ever made
nissan power is something to reckon with
but their FM platform style has ruined the appearance of the new so-called skylines:

yuck

no to celica
mkIV supra: Big Thumbs Up
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Skyline is an option like I mentioned before, but failed to include it in the survey (accidentally). I know it's got more factory grunt than the rest, but I'm not so high on the AWD thing. RWD would be more preferrable. I agree about the Mk IV Supra but have to wait a few years for the 15 year window to catch up to that one. The 180SX and the Silvia are lower on power than the rest but are also a bit lighter than the rest also. The power to weight ratio thing. The 0-60mph numbers for the 300ZX TT are pretty good and I think the Skyline may be a touch better and the RX7 a touch slower ... I think. The 300ZX TT is about 600lbs heavier than the MX3 but with 280+HP from the factory, I'm sure it has some scoot.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

rx7 for me or R34
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

1. skyline gtr r34 v spec :mrgreen:
2. supra mk5
3. rx7 FD with the fortune body kit *drooool*
4. toyota soarer
5. 300zx fairlady
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

I am doing all the power I have to get my hands on a R32 that I found.

Video of the engine running and the exhaust.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/L ... I_2765.flv

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/L ... I_2767.flv

Plus another great car my best friend just picked up is a 2005 evo 9 MR edition.

1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

fieromx3 wrote:1. skyline gtr r34 v spec :mrgreen:
2. supra mk5
3. rx7 FD with the fortune body kit *drooool*
4. toyota soarer
5. 300zx fairlady
Duncan, I'm interested to know why you chose to include the Toyota Soarer? I even flipped through a few of those on Terra2 Imports.

Return to “Off-Topic”