Your oil changes and miles.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Your oil changes and miles.

Post by hgallegos915 »

WOW i just checked...

My last oil change was 221562 miles

Next is at 224562

This was done in oct 1st.. supposebly every 3 months or 3000 miles right... well LOL its nov 20 and I am at 224349 .. LOL anyone drive as much as I do on their mx3? Just out of curiosity. Do you guys do it at 3000 miles? My oil is regular 10 w 30. Checked the oil and it looks kinda red brown but its clear. I tought burned oil is actually black. Well anywho just curious on your cars oil change and mileage :) This is aze that has around 43 thousand miles.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

So far on my RS I have averaged 21,000 miles a year on it since I bought it. Though I change the oil every 5k miles since I run Amsoil 10w-30w synthetic oil. I have a daily (5 days a week) commute of about 40 miles or so.. and then there is all my driving around I do with it.. since my RS has been more reliable than my friends MR2 & Tundra.. it usually gets the call to take us places (not really more reliable than the tundra.. just more economical)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
neumann

Post by neumann »

I only put about 4000 miles a year on my MX-3 as it is a winter commuter car. With today's oil formulations I think changing oil every 3000 miles is probably overkill, but I have actually changed the oil 3 times in 4000 miles just cause I am running some very short intervals to clean 150,000 miles of accumulated crud out.

The color of oil is not really an indication of it being depleted. An oil holding lots of carbon in suspension is doing its job. The main concerns with oil are additive depletion or fuel dilution or other things that really can be assessed only with oil analysis.

I probably will default to a once a year 4000 mile interval but more frequent changes could be regarded as pretty cheap insurance.

Hec if you are driving that much, is it a lot of highway miles? They are a lot easier on oil than short trips and stop and go. I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to change the oil every 6 weeks just cause you hit 3000 miles.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”