missfire

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
freedom

missfire

Post by freedom »

hi, recently bought an mx 3, 1.8 24v v6 non turbo, but had developed missfire, when you first start her she idles at 1500rph and when you go to pull away she has a huge missfire, this also happens when your in any of the gears in low revs and you put you foot down, so far its had new plugs and leads, any ideas where to go from here, thanks
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Check for vaccume leaks.
Check your timing.
Check your compression.
Test your distributor per the manual.
If all goes well, you may want to check your fuel pressure and maybe a leakdown test.
max kl

Post by max kl »

1st who is "she"?
it sound alot like an igniton missfire. if you got the plugs & wires done than check the cap and coil .
also look for vac leaks and check the MAF BOOT! for any cracks.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
freedom

Post by freedom »

sorry :)
thats what i call all my cars lol
come to think of it there is a scre in a pipe at the top of the engine, looks to be a vaccum pipe, ill try and post a pic, this could be causing the problem, but i wouldnt no what it should look like standard. but thank you for the advice so far, very helpful
freedom

Post by freedom »

hi, also just took my air box off and replaced it with an after market KandN and it missfires like hell, is this really unusual???
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I had a lot of fun riding in my friends mx-3 SE DE before I adjusted the spark timing (via disty). It was kinda funny; you floor it and listen to a bunch of noise as you don't accellerate at all. hehehe

Edit: Now that we did a partial head rebuild and adjusted the spark timing... It runs as smooth as silk and pulls very nicely :)
Last edited by Custom_V6_Limited_SE on December 3rd, 2006, 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
freedom

Post by freedom »

again, very amatuer, the person who is doin all the work too my car builds engines, well, part of his job. so if you could tell me what to do and how to do it i would really appreciate it, i prolly wouldnt understand, but i would be able to copy it and then he could read it and understand it. if you catch my drift??
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

It's really easy to adjust your spark timing. Just make note of the distributor position and loosen the bolt that is holding it in place. Then, turn the distributor on its axis and tighten the bolt back down. Next, start the car and see how it runs. Keep playing with it until you get it running with no backfires. If none of the adjustments fix the problem, it might be something else and you can just put it back into its original position. This could very well fix your problem.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”