Motion Photography of Cars

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
illapino

Motion Photography of Cars

Post by illapino »

Anyone here know actual details on how to take pictures of cars in motion, ImportTuner-magazine-style, u know?

good pictures seem to be taken at low angles, and i'm pretty sure the camera is onboard another vehicle that is also in movement since backgrounds tend to blur as well. and since the images are often taken at low angles, i'm thinkin they made some sort of apparatus to attach to the 'camera car' since i doubt anyone would hang lying sideways from the backseat door.. i want to capture my car with its rims in spin. i've never seen it since i'm always the one driving.. i'm thinking also there is an ideal minimum speed that the target car should be at to get a good capture of the rims spinning... to this day, i haven't seen photos of ne1's mx3 in motion ... does this require a higher end camera than just ur regular digital ones?
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Neil

Re: Motion Photography of Cars

Post by Neil »

illapino wrote: to this day, i haven't seen photos of ne1's mx3 in motion ...
Macen has posted a few pictures of his car with what you're talking about. But they're all Auto-X or Track Day pictures nothing like Import Tuner.

Your image isn't working. But i am assuming you're aiming for something like this?

If so than most pictures like that are shot using higher end camera's. But i believe that even car magazines are starting to photo shop there pictures to make them look better. They've probably been doing that for a long time but I'm just starting to notice it now more than before.

I'm going to assume that if the magazine pictures are shot using digital that they're using 8mp+ or likely higher mp camera's (12-16mp) for the smooth action shots with a specific lens mostly for sports/action shots.

You should be able to achieve similar photos using a lower end camera as well, it is just trickier than if you have a nicer camera with a high shutter speed.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
illapino

Post by illapino »

Yes, that's similar to my broken image which was a Blue Honda NSX cruising Japan (quite nice). Higher shutter eh? What would you say about the angle at which the low-low pictures are shot? how does Import Tuner pull that off? I said an attachment to the camera car at first, but now i'm thinking just an extension arm that the camera-man holds while the camera is held down, down near the road as both cars are moving. Remote control button: click!

(by the way, the image that my img-link points to is still there. something wrong with the forum's cache i guess, for right clicking on the broken link reveals the address: copy and paste the url if u wanna see it.)

here's a low-angle shot: i like these.
it looks like it was taken at at least 60 km/hr don't u think?

1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

They probably have professional mounts for their nice cameras with remote control. If you've ever watched how they film car scenes they use a ton of mounts that just pop on and off to capture different angles.

You could always get a sticky pod. Then just have a friend lean out and hit the button. That's what I'm planning on doing. Or if you have a camera with a remote, that would help.
illapino

Post by illapino »

you are a genious!

1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
illapino

Post by illapino »

FINALLY! A PICTURE OF A PRECIDIA IN MOTION!!!!

AND IT's pink !
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

Here goes another mx3 in motion (not the best photo in the world...but it's a MX3.. :wink: )

Cris

DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

Please excuse the dirt. it's a long drive from Orlando to Kentucky, but she made it there and back without incident. my fiancee was driving when i took the photo, i just wish i had longer arms for a better angle.

-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Barney, Kevin's car, is not pink it is rasberry metalic with a purple pearl clear coat. RIP. The car was totalled about 5 years ago. I still have some of the body panels from the car that were not beat up. At the time it was one of the sickest MX show cars around. I think that Perry, atlmx3, took that pic- a very good photographer if you ask me. I'll post my moving pic later, butthe background is not blurry. I bet that you can blur the background easily enough if you use photoshop.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Someone repost that racing MX-3 where the back wheels are off the ground! I think it was black with yellow writing on it, but it's been a long time since I saw the pic last...
No more MX-3.
buddyclubmx3i

Post by buddyclubmx3i »

8) Image
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I have to do some Motion photography for my digital photography class, so rest assure, when that project comes up, I'll be doing some mx3s
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Cy

Post by Cy »

there's 2 ways....shutter speed....or Photoshop...

here's a 5minute PS jobby...just as example...more time and experience would clearly render better results

Becomes

ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

you can do a pretty decent job in photoshop. I think most the really good ones are just taken with good cameras with adjustable shutter speeds. I would imagine a steady mount is pretty important also. Here is one I quickly did up in photoshop of my car.

Before:

After:
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Cy

Post by Cy »

yeh straight on shots are the easiest...the angle shots you have to make another layer and then make the horizontal blur then skew it (which i didn't bother doing)

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”