Tinting all exterior lights?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
trimble

Tinting all exterior lights?

Post by trimble »

Just wondering if it's legal in Ontario to tint my lights. Like use "niteshadez" or whatever just to darken all my light covers. I don't think I've seen an MX-3 with them tinted yet, but I know I've seen other vehicles on the roads with them tinted.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Stat ... .htm#BK106
Lamps

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Lamps required on motorcycles

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

Idem

(3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (3).

Light requirement

(4) Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (4).

Exception

(5) Despite subsections (2) and (3), where a motorcycle that was manufactured prior to the 1st day of January, 1970 is operated on a highway, the lighted lamps required under subsections (2) and (3) shall be required only during the period from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise, or at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (5).

Strength of lamps

(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
In otherwords, no. Any covering on them is illegal. Even redding out the rear signals is illegal, but Deimos has them, and I was following him the one day, and you cannot tell that they are painted, the red is the same color and intensity as the brake lights.

What I did on mine actually is take the lense off and paint the inside of the housing black, that gives it a tinted look, but the light, reflector and lense are unaffected, so the intensity is not affected, and does not break any of the Ontario highway traffic act laws.

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Tinting all exterior lights?

Post by jschrauwen »

Second post on same subject.

trimble wrote:I don't think I've seen an MX-3 with them tinted yet,
And there's an excellent reason why smart MX'rs don't do it.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ruthless_mx3

Re: Tinting all exterior lights?

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

jschrauwen wrote:
trimble wrote:I don't think I've seen an MX-3 with them tinted yet,
And there's an excellent reason why smart MX'rs don't do it.
Hey now, all mine are tinted.

I have been pulled over for it once 3 years ago. I removed a small bit of tint from the tails so they would reflect and have been ok since.

Can see them fine in the day and at night too, as long as the lights are on. They don't reflect crap, so when its parked along the street its an invisible target awaiting an a-- ramming.

:rant2: AND IT LOOKS COOL SO POOP ON YOU!!! :wink:
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

wow 3 years and I finally made it to 100 posts and now 101 :froggie_red:
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

:shock: What the heck smells in here anyway??? Did I just step in something?? :?

I should have been more specific when relating that smart MX'rs don't tint their headlights. Tail lights would be a different matter, I would think.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

not to mention that driving in night is pita on mx-3 with stock lights, I cant imagine driving with tinted headlights
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
92blackmx3

Post by 92blackmx3 »

i drove one night with my headlight covers on and couldnt figure out why my headlights wasn't bright then i clued in
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I saw a MX-3 a while ago with tinted black taillights.. though not very bright and definately inviting a rear end collision.. I must say it did look kinda sharp.. the lower hatch window under the 3rd tail light was also tinted black.. kinda gave the car a stealth look.. was on a Red MX too. Nifty to look at.. not something I would do personally.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “Appearance”