Changing Headlights* any suggestions??.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
PatMX3

Changing Headlights* any suggestions??.

Post by PatMX3 »

I'm looking for a nicer - cooler look for the headlights. I heard someone used civic lights , and some alterations. Anyone done this, or has some suggestions?. Other makes- headlights i could use?. Thanks
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The civic projectors have been done many times, you should be able to search and find plenty of info and variations of that conversion. Other styles of leadlight conversions include the Miata, S2000 and RSX. The Civic headlight are the only ones that requires less modifications and you can, if you want, leave the bumper and hood intact. The others are tricky and complicated.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Thanks alot for your advice, Nd4SpdSe !.
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
illapino

Post by illapino »

don't forget the RX-8 headlight conversion Nd !
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Fyujin

Post by Fyujin »

for details on the civic projector option see the link below

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360367/2
hharb

Post by hharb »

Honestly i don't recommend a civic projector conversion, it's been done right by a few ppl, but gone wrong with many of them, if the projector is not 100% properly installed it will look stupid and ruin the lines of the car. what i'm going to do is get the civic projector, only use the housing, and put the MX3 lens on it after trimming it to perfectly fit with the lens, this way it will look much cooler and won't look out of place, it's a bit of work but i think it's definately worth it.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

hharb wrote:Honestly i don't recommend a civic projector conversion, it's been done right by a few ppl, but gone wrong with many of them, if the projector is not 100% properly installed it will look stupid and ruin the lines of the car. what i'm going to do is get the civic projector, only use the housing, and put the MX3 lens on it after trimming it to perfectly fit with the lens, this way it will look much cooler and won't look out of place, it's a bit of work but i think it's definately worth it.
A thorough search on going that route will reveal that you have a lot of work ahead of you. The lense on the MX has specific beam directioning properties that are in concert with the shape of the reflector lense. Placing the civic lights behind the MX cover will severely distort the beam pattern (refract it) in such a manner that you'll have a worse pattern than when you began. What's necessary is to sand by hand the all of the ribbed portions on the inside of the MX lense to a point it's perfectly smooth and crystal clear.
OR
Source a GTO MX headlight protector. They were supplied by a company called Keystone in Canada that I know of and available through Canadian Tire stores (I bought at least 5 sets of those in the last year or two). They're meant to fit over the original MX lense and can be modified with little work to be the actual lense replacement. They also cam in a smoked lense type. Try a search and include my nic. You'll find the sources and part numbers for that item.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
hharb

Post by hharb »

Thanks for the advice jschrauwen. i really appreciate your help. I will be getting a pair of MX headlights with the clear lenses, if i like them enough i might just put them on instead of the projectors, otherwise i will use their lenses instead of the regular MX lense, this should definately do the job and help me get the look i wanted. and for PatMX3 there have been a new post revealing a company that makes custom projectors for all cars, while it might be a bit pricey it would be a great choice if you have the money and would rather not do any custom work or fitting. http://izntrbl.vstore.ca/product_info.p ... ucts_id=87

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”