Running rich or Lean

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Matrix733

Running rich or Lean

Post by Matrix733 »

hello fellows, i have a 1993 mx3 gs with a jdm k8 installed with the cpu that came with the engine.

However, car runs great but when stopped or sitting idle, i can smell like raw gas. Is this caused from running rich?

If i get new plugs and wires, would that be a start in the right direction? What else do i need to check or adjust?

Thanks
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'd check your fuel pressure regulator and your fuel injectors.. if you have a leaky injector.. its probably due to a faulty FPR. Have you been under the hood when you first notice the smell? Is the smell coming from the exaust or does it smell truely like raw unburnt gas? If you think its coming from your exaust.. rev your engine while watching out the back (or have someone rev it for you.. ) if your running excessively rich.. you will have black sooty exaust. You wouldnt smell gas in a too lean situation. So either your running to rich.. or you have a physical gas leak somewhere.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
max kl

Post by max kl »

yea rich or leaking. pull all 6 plugs if some are white or brown and 1 or 2 are black than you may have a leaking injector. it plugs dont all look the same than pop a new cheap set in and recheck after a few runs round tha block.
also the fuel line fittings at the engine are suspect for external leakage and fuel line from fuel filter.
any fuel line that has been replaced will probably leak mazda factory fuel line is some of the best hose i have ever found.
do you have any exhaust leaks? pre cat leaks will stink of fuel.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”