Invested in your v6 mx-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

Which would you rather have in a car looks or performance?

Looks
5%
Performance
95%

Total votes: 21

slimmyslim1420

Invested in your v6 mx-3

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I was curious how much you guys have put in your mx-3's in maintanance and upgrades since you have had them. If you answer this please put how long you have had it and the amount. It dosen't have to be exact just an estimate. I have had mine for about 3 and a half years and I have put a little more than $17,000 in mine that dosen't count oil changes or any fluids or tires but it does count original purchase price of my car which was $1200. I thought this would be interesting to know.
thanks
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I bought my GS for $225.. and so far I have invested about $1500 into it. $600 for the ATX to MTX swap kit and $400 for the headers and about $500 in misc. Parts so far. (Fender, Door, Millenia Alternator, Gaskets, Battery, Battery relocation parts, Timing Belt, Water pump, etc.) I figure I have about another $200-$300 in misc. parts to go before its back on the road. Then there will be $1500 worth of paint & body work. Another $400 for Rims. Another $800 for interior toys & tinting. And that should cover it for quite a while I am thinking. I bought the car in early march I think.. (I'd have to look it up) of this year.. but didnt really get started on it till late august due to financial and health reasons.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
max kl

Post by max kl »

the mx3 gs looks great all by itsself.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

i do a little of both or alternate back and forth, as well i have spent over 15000. probably going to be another 6000 this winter, then she will be pretty much done for quite a while.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Depends what i could afford, and what i would feel like. I tend to like performance over looks, but don't forget in-car entertainment as well, I would technically put performance before I.C.E, but ICE is easier to afford. Appearance mods come and go whenever i feel it needs something
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mx3Baker

Post by Mx3Baker »

i dont want all show and no go LOL
93 Mx-3 GS
5 SPD Conversion

Worklog at
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I bought mine for $1800 and in the last year and a half that i have owned my gs, i put about 1200 bucks into redoing my suspension (struts, springs, tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar endlinks, cv axles). Than this past summer i rebuilt a klde i am going to swap in this winter, that cost me about $1200, and i still have about another 500 bucks to put into the motor for a new clutch and various little things like plugs, wires, etc.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

i bought mine for 3500..its a 96 gs v6 ..i have spend probably about 1500 into it also...ive done soem basic mods liek a system for it i got deck amp subs all for 150 :) ive done some looks mods like painting some random stuff inside the car white ..with a couple cans of paint, i lowerd it with st springs.($300) so far its 2inch drop...i bought a cheap shortshifter from ebay ($60) to my door. i jsut bought a cold air intake for a integra for 55 to my door... i got free speakers...and im starting on motor stuff ..so prity much looks for now..untill i get enoghh cash to do a swap.
spent a bunch of money fixing it up ... exhaust is done and it has a filter right now..
illapino

Post by illapino »

I bought mine for $3000.

let me round the rest off ... this will include labor fees since most of it was in shop shyt
new battery: $160.
new front brake rotors: $300
used distributor: $400
new tires and rims: $1500.
new struts and coilovers: $1500
black altezzas: $290 (I INSTALLED THESE ALL BY MYSELF !)

so that's around $4000 put into it in just 4 months of owning it ...
or of it owning me

:D
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I bought mine for $3000.

let me round the rest off ... this will include labor fees since most of it was in shop shyt
new battery: $160.
new front brake rotors: $300
used distributor: $400
new tires and rims: $1500.
new struts and coilovers: $1500
black altezzas: $290 (I INSTALLED THESE ALL BY MYSELF !)

so that's around $4000 put into it in just 4 months of owning it ...
or of it owning me
Some of the prices you paid for things are ridiculous. $160 for a battery, and $300 for brake rotors? What kind of shop are you going to. Combined those two should have only cost about $100 bucks if you did it yourself.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Yeah man, I hope you got a spiral cell battery for that kind of money.
You could probably get better deals if you shop around a bit.
I mean, in Victoria, you have a lot of auto parts supply stores. They will compete with each other. You also have at least one tuner shop in the rock bay area. Cool guys in there. Then there's a wheel shop on bay st if I remember correctly.

Look around.
Cody
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I go for both last week i spent over 1000 on it well roughly. Rims and tires 800 dllrs new megasquirt 200 dllrs from here. :) Im reaching the end of mods to do... turbo is the last step i guess. Ive spent around ver 4000 - 5000 on this car with worthless klze before the ze. Every week i replace a work part.. lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Bought mine in 96' for 10,000 with 32,000 miles. Spent an inumerable amount on maintenance and performance by now. No way to even begin to count. I've only owned one car, the MX-3 and it has been a dailey driver the whole time. Granted, I don't rive much :wink: Won't buy another car until I find something I like as much as the MX-3. The MS3 might well be it, but we'll see about that when I can find one to test drive.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

got the car for $1000 and i have lost track of how much i have spent so far
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
illapino

Post by illapino »

1992blazeredgs wrote: Some of the prices you paid for things are ridiculous. $160 for a battery, and $300 for brake rotors? What kind of shop are you going to. Combined those two should have only cost about $100 bucks if you did it yourself.
sorri, i lost this topic..
but as i said, those were prices including labor.. The battery and rotor installs for one were done in a haste since they needed immediate replacement and in mid 2006 when I first bought my first car, I knew absolutely nothing at all about cars. Absolutely nothing.. But It's now been five months i've had it and I knew then and know now that I splurged unecessarily, but as the circumstance was, I had no choice but to get these type of things fixed asap; i knew that much.. i knew i would be putting more money in it than i should've to begin with, but that's neither here nor there, for i've learned alot more now than then and i'm not that financially regretful since having shops do the work has several advantages, especially for a new car owner who shouldn't trust himself to dismantle brakes and entire suspension systems within only 2 months of owning the vehicle, in which time he was too busy attending to life's many struggles than to sit down and self-educate himself on mechanics..

as for the rock bay and bay st references, yes i know those places and have visited them often but have given money to only one (not the other) as i have at several other shops in the same location such as tires unlimited and progressive.. back oh back when i was a little uneducated boy.. it wont be happening so much anymore, thanks to this forum, the online shop manual, and my chilton's manual..

i give u my thanks
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”