Trouble after plug wire change

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
state_red

Trouble after plug wire change

Post by state_red »

OK, after changing my plugs & wires my car now has an incredibly rough idle with backfiring all over the place. Beforehand it had idled high at startup and had the occasional misfire, but now its sputtering constantly.<br><br>

Also, the way my disty is hooked up to the motor is not the same as in the shop manual...?

Shop manual has

6 - 4 - 5
(disty)
1 - 2 - 3

as viewed from the passenger side, but on my car 6&5 are switched. I tried switching them back and it was much worse.

All my plugs are in tight and I got NGK plugs which are pregapped. Any ideas what's going on here? (95 1.8 GS)

Thanks
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

1-3-5
2-4-6

I don't know where you got that firing order from.
state_red

Post by state_red »

No, not the cylinder side, the disty side of the cables, as in page G 29 of the OSM.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well the disty has a labeled numbers on them. Also cyl number six sits next to the disty then 4 and 2 for that head. Its easy. and it does seem you have them backwards.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

You have the Firing order wrong. Did you use a Vhiltons Manual? I went through that when i firsft got my mx3..took me like a day to figure the book was wrong..lol
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
state_red

Post by state_red »

I get that the cylinder placement is

1-3-5
2-4-6

but from what I've found online everything has said the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6... easy enough. But if you look at the shop manual page G-29, the firing order appears to be 1-2-3-5-4-6 if you look at how the disty is labeled in the picture there...
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

why dont you just listen to what people are telling you and LOOK at your ditsy cap, which tells you what number goes where

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”