help plz.

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mzdamx3rsdohc

help plz.

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

lllll
Last edited by mzdamx3rsdohc on August 31st, 2009, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Are your shift, period, and enter buttons broken?
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

run away, run away now....ok

I'm sorry to start out my hopefully informative post by saying this, but
"DON'T BECOME A RICER"
"READ BOOKS ABOUT CARS AND DEFINITLY ABOUT TURBO"
"RESEARCH LEARN PRACTICE"

Ok now

Your talking about the DOHC B6 Engine....runs about 110hp to the crank

Turboing that engine is really a touchy subject. I think you MIGHT be able to get 10 pounds, but I'm not sure how safe your gonna be, I don't really think anything is forged much on that engine. That 10 pounds would net you around 170whp or so guys?

You should look into getting a BP which are 130 hp at the crank and have been known to handle 400whp+ on the stock engine, which means if you wanted to run 15 pounds you could essentially do it with good tuning.

As for tuning, megasquirt is the best option for you.....it's pretty decent on price and you get what you pay for....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I think youasked like 16 questions in the post. From what I skimmed thru you better make sure everything is perfect to run 15 pounds of boost. I have the same car as you and never went over 12.....I hit 15 and smoked the rings.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

thanks for the replies. ill work on my run on sentences...LOL so u think id be better off going bp? i havent found very much info on swapping the Dohc for the bp as it seems the sohc is the easiest because of wiring.i thought my bottom end could handle even 15lbs stock for a while? i really like this motor tho but would only keep it if i was to turbo it over the winter-i would just like to be able to say i still have the stock motor just modded when i spank a b16 civic at the track...LOL hopefully.i really want to just turbo this over bp as i could put money for a bp into some gtx rods, i really would like to no if i should go with a mechanical fmu or what to go with even a pigyback system i dont care i just need some direction at this point.volvo intercooler yes or no?1st gen mx6/pgt turbo yes or no?volvo turbo? should i buy a new wastegate or can i get one there do r the turbos that i mentioned have an internal wastegate?can the turbo mentioned support high rpms power wise?would i be better off with a volvo or saab turbo?old thunderbird or mustang turbo? thanks for the quick replies tho definatly shows how this forum is superior to any other mx3 form ive found b4. p.s. im not a ricer i dont have eurotails or stickers,big aluminum wing,5colour tach, white dash(not only ricer) or a mugen sticker on my mazda like other ricers and lastly i dont rev my engine when i drive by ppl(ricer) or race on the street at all nemore so plz dont accuse me of being a ricer its not like im asking questions on turboing the sohc but a actual motor that should be able to handle it and make decent power and im actually gettin parts for this and am goin to do it so im def. not a ricer- if i wasnt going tonight or tomorrow night to pick some of the parts this would not be so long so sorry once again.and thanks
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:thanks for the replies. ill work on my run on sentences...LOL so u think id be better off going bp? i havent found very much info on swapping the Dohc for the bp as it seems the sohc is the easiest because of wiring.i thought my bottom end could handle even 15lbs stock for a while? i really like this motor tho but would only keep it if i was to turbo it over the winter-i would just like to be able to say i still have the stock motor just modded when i spank a b16 civic at the track...LOL hopefully.i really want to just turbo this over bp as i could put money for a bp into some gtx rods, i really would like to no if i should go with a mechanical fmu or what to go with even a pigyback system i dont care i just need some direction at this point.volvo intercooler yes or no?1st gen mx6/pgt turbo yes or no?volvo turbo? should i buy a new wastegate or can i get one there do r the turbos that i mentioned have an internal wastegate?can the turbo mentioned support high rpms power wise?would i be better off with a volvo or saab turbo?old thunderbird or mustang turbo? thanks for the quick replies tho definatly shows how this forum is superior to any other mx3 form ive found b4. p.s. im not a ricer i dont have eurotails or stickers,big aluminum wing,5colour tach, white dash(not only ricer) or a mugen sticker on my mazda like other ricers and lastly i dont rev my engine when i drive by ppl(ricer) or race on the street at all nemore so plz dont accuse me of being a ricer its not like im asking questions on turboing the sohc but a actual motor that should be able to handle it and make decent power and im actually gettin parts for this and am goin to do it so im def. not a ricer- if i wasnt going tonight or tomorrow night to pick some of the parts this would not be so long so sorry once again.and thanks
Nobody here will give you all the answers as they have been posted several times before. You can turbo your engine and expect roughly 200whp depending on mods. Get a book by corky bell called "maximum boost". This will help alot. There was a post a while back that everyone listed their mods. A piggyback like a super afc and bigger injectors are a must. Please use the search feature on this board as you will find a wealth of info.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

read a book...LOL i read books 8 hrs a day for school(mechanical engineering) so dont tell me to read a book-learn about cars do u know me? no so u dont know if i know about cars either.ur 20 and im 21 what do u think either of us know about cars no. cars is like golf u get better as u age and gain experience,now i am new to the world of forced induction and have done lots of reading and searching on this site in particular but most of the info is geared to wards the bp i find-how many ppl here run a greddy emanage?when i was reading one post there were only 2 so i dont see how these were asked many times b4. i have the book u named in particular on my shopping list as i also saw it in another post but thank you for reminding me as this s not geared towards u.
1)could some plz tell me whether to grab a volvo or saab intercooler or what one would be the best?
2)does the 1st gen probe/mx6 turbo support higher revving motors than the f2t i think?
3)should i grab a different turbo,capri,volvo,saab,mitsubishi,etc.
4)will miata cams be beneficial to me boosted or will they shift my powerband to high?
5)should i buy a wastegate,bov and intercooler new or just the 2 not the intercooler.
as i am 21 i am looking for a cheap turbo set up, but one that is still reliable and daily driveable nothing extreme or even moderate thats y id upgrade l8tr i figure i might as well start somewhere.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Ok guys lets not turn this into a pissing match...
Boris

Post by Boris »

Hey I am probably doing the same thing as you: Turbo b6 with not a lot of $$$. I got a brand new saab 9-3 turbo that I'll be using.

You using the stock tranny?

Volvo intercooler: I was going to use one as my friend has one in his garage (or at least he THOUGHT it was a volvo one, he's not all that sure).. the problem is that it was HUGE. I don't know what model it came out of, but it definitely would not fit in the mx3 without doing some custom work on the intercooler. It was really tall.

As for intercoolers, I wanna use a small one. Another buddy of mine has a corrado G60 intercooler which is really small. I'm going to go take a look at that, and see how it would fit in my car. From what I understand, it's still front mounted, but it's kind of tucked in the bumper...It's really small, and both pipes would be located on one side of the intercooler. I tried looking for pics, but this was the closest thing I could find in terms of looks: http://www.student.kun.nl/p.oonincx/var ... %20G60.jpg

Try typing in "intercooler" on ebay and see what pops up. You might see one that you can use.

btw where are you located?
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

hey thanks for the reply,im located on the oshawa/courtice border 30 mins eat of toronto. yeah i was thinking of looking at the different sizes as i should have a selection of intercoolers...LOL just to find one in good shape tho. do u no what ecu or fuel management unit ur gonna run?
Boris

Post by Boris »

That's pretty close I live in oakville, 30 min away from Toronto too.

I actually have absolutely no clue what kind of fuel management to use. I wanna use some kind of standalone, but the Greddy E-manage seems to be a pretty decent alternative too.

I ordered that book by corky bell or whatever his name is so I'll give that a read before I spend too much $$ on this turbo stuff. I've just started learning about turbos recently.

BTW...I know you're looking for a cheap turbo setup, and you're probably very interested in junkyard turbos, but you should seriously consider going on ebay. I was astonished at how cheap you can get a brand new garrett turbo with a 1 year warrantee... some are going for like $250-300... Just type in turbo on http://www.ebay.ca and check it out.

What kind of fuel management are you thinking of going with and why?
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

hey thank a lot yeah not to far away at all. thanks for the ebay link. i went last night and got a intercooler off of a volvo 740 i think. its about 6"tall ruler length in width so it should fit it was a easy grab so i got it as the main purpose of last night was to scout whats there. i was hoping to do pretty much a complete junkyard build up just to show a couple doubtful chevy and honda guys that u can achieve good performance with out spending a ton, but i think i may look into a ebay one see if someone has one for sale in toronto. but the newest question is my buddy wants to trade his 92mx3 lowering springs,high flow cat,muffler,CAI-a real cold air intake tho not ram style),gs honeycmb wheels painted gunmetal and full system(which i could care less about) 259000kms but id be buying a bp for it b4 it even hit the road even tho it still runs strong.
for my 94rs dohc -ram style intake exhaust,rust bubble on both rear wheel wells(small) 229000kms-not winter driven for 5yrs either.(as weird as that is but my parents just drove it in the summer and i picked it up with a blown tranny off them. so yeah low km.tranny 80000 when i got it like 20000 k ago. 160-155 compression all cylinders. u think a straight up trades worth it for me even tho id be gettin the shitty dash too...lol
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

to bad u didn't stay sohc or u did in taking time to really find out how much a 1.6 sohc can really make. but am getting there slowly at least doing it right is $$$$$$$$$$$ which i somehow mange to pull of and get the parts i need. but when i get there i'll post the whp #'s.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Boris

Post by Boris »

If money wasn't an issue I'd go SOHC. The only reason I'm going with the DOHC b6 is because I have a rebuilt head and a non-rebuilt but low km block in my garage. My SOHC is running like s---. I'd have to rebuild the entire thing which would cost me more than putting the DOHC in...and I'd get less HP

I'm really interested to see how the SOHC turbo set up works for you though, you shoud post a worklog

Return to “Forced Induction”