6%
No, not at all
30%

Total votes: 33

Bochek

The winter driving poll.

Post by Bochek »

The big Q

who's driving their car in the winter. got a few options here, find the one that besst suites you.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I said yes.. But we only have one season around here, so i don't think my vote counts.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

1 season is sweet,keep is simple hey. WE have a couple...most peopel here in canada do.

Winter - slush - construction - fall - construction

defantly gonna drive..it's my only car..yeah so how bout that ZE in the snow hey? hahah..oh dear lord...getting stuck alot? yup..

by the way i got stuck in a parking lot the other day, in the mud...I coudlnt' get out, because there was a sidewalk infront of me that was to high for me to drive off of, and i couldn't revers or else i'd get stuck.

what did i do?

well, i got ONTO the sidewalk (flush with the mud) and drove along , between parking meters and building and people, until there was a dip in the sidewalk were i could procede onto the road. hahah oh i love small cars
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Maybe with my old mx cause it was a POS, but my new one is way nicer so I am gonna park it this year. WINTER BEATER :)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Winters around here are pretty mild.. so I'll be driving my GS (once its complete of course) on days where the weather is ok.. I'll drive my truck on the really nasty days.. Its got dents all over it so if one of the many californians that have moved up here slides into it.. I wont be that upset ;) Thats a JOKE for all you californians that KNOW how to drive in the rain & snow ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

after fixing the front end and almost crashing it due to stupid winter drivers last years means she will be parked before the snow flies this year.
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

It's my only car ........ when she's painted next year I hope to store her and get some clunker to drive during the winter.

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

maybe once or twice....but for the most part, it stays put...and has stayed parked for the past 3 or so winters/years. BUT, this time it'll be parked for a BPT swap :2thumbsup:
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
DJ

Post by DJ »

I drive mine all year, I couldn't justify putting away a 12 year old car into storage which wasn't that expensive of a car to begin with. As much as I like it and even though it has fresh paint, it's still not like it's a Ferrari.

Now if you have a second vehicle that is a suv or something with 4x4, then I would drive that because that would safer than the MX-3.
Once you put some winter tires on these things they do pretty good in the snow.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

i just picked up 4 winters on steel rims $40 TOTAL!

thinking of putting them on my honeycombs for teh winter and getting some 16's for next summer.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

DJ wrote:I drive mine all year, I couldn't justify putting away a 12 year old car into storage which wasn't that expensive of a car to begin with. As much as I like it and even though it has fresh paint, it's still not like it's a Ferrari.

Now if you have a second vehicle that is a suv or something with 4x4, then I would drive that because that would safer than the MX-3.
Once you put some winter tires on these things they do pretty good in the snow.
I'm storing mine again this winter. I'll be her 3rd winter where she doesn't have to deal with the harsh road sand/salt of our winters.

She was a fun car to drive in the winter, but even with snow tires, it's still really to spin the tires. With the ZE, it actually ruined the fun of my snow driving, too much power on a FWD isn't as fun as I would of thought, and she likes to eat winter tires. She's freshly painted and I'm taking care of that. For those who remember the significan amout of rust I had, I don't want that back.

Putting a new gas tank on the (1990 non-turbo automatic) 626 this week, throw on the set of winters we got for her last year and she's all good to go. You'd be surprised how well this babe performs in the winter. Last year when I still worked and lived in Mississauga, I spent the weekend at my parents place in Port Colborne and had to drive back. It was a pretty bad storm. Although I didn't do much highway driving in the winter, it was the first time I saw the highway to poorly plowed, but it was just snowing that much they couldn't keep up. The QEW was a makeshift 2 lanes instead of 3. Traffic was doing about 50-60km/h. After a while, there was a Chevy Avalanche that decided to fly by to the right, he was, my guess since it was covered, half on the slow lane and half of the shoulder just givin' her. So me and my crazy ideas i decided to to follow him in the 626. So we're booting it up the highway, doing 80-90 flying by traffic. I could feel the snow hitting the underside of the car, it was that high, but she was driving through it no problem. Not long after a 4x4 Ranger decides to follow. We did that upto hamilton, but man it was great, the car handled it amazingly well. As much as I want to get a truck as a winter beater (amungst other things), the 626 just works extremely well in the snow. Could the Mx3 of done the same, maybe, but now that's she's lowered, she'd just be more of a snow plow, plus, it's funner to drive something you dont care if you scuff up or not.

But I will say one thing, either way, I'm a firm believer in winter tires. I got a set of them when i bought the car, took them off a little to early one year and couldn' believe the difference between them as the all seasons. Well worth it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Since my mx is one of 4 cars I drive....it only sees clear days. I might drive it once in a while but if its bad out...she stays in storage.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

my mx3 is my winter ride.. i prefer it because the heater is so hot and nice. El paso winters here are probably what you guys have in canada at this time of year. Pretty hot. I use a car cover at ni9ghts to keep the frost out tho. No garage.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Probably yes. However, I can always drive my wife's 626 when it snows.
bubsy83

Winter Driving?

Post by bubsy83 »

That's why I bought her. I was told that they handle great in the winter and already I have noticed that the MX-3 is far more solid than my old P.O.S. '94 Cavalier that I used for my daily driver. It's funny...the MX is older than the Cavilier and is in great shape and handles awesome. I totally plan on taking care of the MX with undercoating and routine maintenance, and general repairs that come from time to time. The Cavalier just looked and felt cheap in retrospect and even though I got 4 year out of her and paid at most $1200 for the car and maintenace and shouldn't complain, the MX-3 is a keeper and will get me to and from work and that's it in the winter!! :D

Return to “General Mazda”