Rotary question!

Off-Topic Discussions
Legato626

Rotary question!

Post by Legato626 »

OK there is this 2004 RX-8 that I am looking at. Small water damager not even bad no rust anywhere they want $12k for this car. I don't know much about rotarys so I was going to see what you guys think. I started it up and it seemed kind of slugish a bit i left it idea for a bit and it cleared up. I started driving it trany clutch all felt tight in good shape. Car was rolling good all green lights everything running great. BUT if I try to get up on the car it would not want to go it would bog down get slugish just didnt want to pull like a normal engine. The engine light would start flashing. Then if you let of the gas and go back to normal driving it would go away drive normal and no engine light... What you guys think could be up with the car?
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Check the codes? :)

If you got an engine light, you got some type of failure, sensor maybe?
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Thats the crazy part its in a small town and its far from a mazda dealer about a hour drive away. You think we should buy the car and just fix it up?
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

if the body is in really nice condition then 12k isn't bad considering anything on a rotary can be replaced and repaired EASY and semi-cheap in most cases, do a few more test drives, see if the problem continues, you said when you got on it alittle it felt sluggish and boggy, your looking at not getting enough of something, either fuel or air would be the first things I check....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

If it has water damage I bet there is moisture in an electrical component. What type of water damage was disclosed to you?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

not even up to the pedals i am thinking about just getting all the ECUs replaced or at least get them checked out. And then see what code is coming up. But they said that they put a full tank of gas in and they just drove around so it sounds like the car was driven for some time and it didn't bust down yet. so it must be something just miner.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

if you were smart you would avoid this car. ANY water damage vehicle will cause a lifetime of headache. If you buy it, good luck selling it, because no one is going to want to buy it.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

LooseChangeRacing wrote:if the body is in really nice condition then 12k isn't bad considering anything on a rotary can be replaced and repaired EASY and semi-cheap in most cases, do a few more test drives, see if the problem continues, you said when you got on it alittle it felt sluggish and boggy, your looking at not getting enough of something, either fuel or air would be the first things I check....

You have never owned a rota, from that quote, mazda rips
ya a new a--hole when you have to buy parts.

Legato,

Avoid this car, from this discription id say they have the engine
180 degrees out of phaze, it will run but be FLAT!

Or its got a cracked apex seal!

AVOID THIS CAR!
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Legato626 wrote:not even up to the pedals i am thinking about just getting all the ECUs replaced or at least get them checked out. And then see what code is coming up. But they said that they put a full tank of gas in and they just drove around so it sounds like the car was driven for some time and it didn't bust down yet. so it must be something just miner.
Pass...find one that wasnt water logged.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I would avoid this car not only because of the water damage.. but cause of these kinds of articles popping up all over the net..

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-28-2006-106828.asp

Supposedly there is a defect with the rotary engine design.. I dont know what the defect is.. and most of the articles that mention it dont get technical about it.. so maybe its nothing.. but.. its enough to make me think twice especially considering the cost of rotary engine parts.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

like almost everyone else here i would avoid it, BUT, that article that tunes posted brings an idea to mind. the way tha article makes it sound is that the motor leaks oil and plugs up the cat. they said that the dealer will replace the motor and cat free of cost only if its found to be faulty. now a plugged cat could be a reason that the motor bogs down on you but i figure a clogged cat would be much worse than what you described. however if this motor is affected and found faulty, then you could buy it and take it to mazda and get a new motor and cat free of charge and you would have made out with pretty good car for 12k. that may be the problem but it may be electrical as well. it all depends on how much of a risk your willing to take.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

well the recall also has to due with not enough oil pressure to properly lubricate the apex seals-did u check the oil because rotaries inject it onto the apex seals to lubicate them so they dont dry up and CRACK like mentioned above so u may be able to get a new motor but maybe not so id check the oil ask how often they checked it and how much it burned and if they say it burned none run away as fast as u can cause they never took proper care of the car. y not wait a year and buy one not water damaged for the same price i think ud be buying a lemon. also check to c if its the 190 hp or 238 i think because the 190 is gutless. a way to tell by driving is to see where the rev limiter is if at 7500 then its the 190 hp and 2 less ports then the other version of the renesis as it has 2 ports that open at ---- rpm up to 9000 or 9500 but the first year some times has malfunctioning ports and they dont open buy one thats been maintained cared for and lved as the extra money up front will save u a ton in the long run
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in

Return to “Off-Topic”