timing problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Gottagofaster

timing problem

Post by Gottagofaster »

I have a timing problem with my new bp...I got the fuel rail problem fixed and now I have a timing problem....first i tried to adjust the timing with the disty...and i'm pretty sure i made it worse...bc before i messed with it it would run for about a second really crapy but now its not even firing. it seems like my timing no matter how many times i rotate it with the wrench and try to get number 1 piston on tdc with the rotor on number 1 i can't get it to happen..? whate hte solution? I tried somehting kinda retarded haha, it was lining up with plug 3 so i just rotated all of my plugs one and no it didn't work ha is there a way i could make that work or just get the timing right?

also i was thinking my timing belt could be off? how are the pulleys suppose to line up like the E and the - ?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

hey buy a manual it will help u out a bit.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Gottagofaster

i just did

Post by Gottagofaster »

Just got it....and my question is i'm reading the part about timing and i'm wondering if i can set cylinder 1 to tdc and set the cams into the place it says and shouldn't it work?
it says i need to turn the crank 2 turns then set something then 1& 5/6 turns then put the timing belt on... but isn't tdc tdc? it doesn't really matter which one it is because the cams determine whether it's the intake compression fire and exhaust stroke right? and the thing i need to worry about is getting tdc in cylinder one with the valves closed and the spark fireing right?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i dont know how much diff a bp is from my b6 in timing but on mine if you line up the crank sprocket with the mark on the block the number 1 piston is on the compression stroke. if you dont and you got the number 4 at tdc then it wont work right, line up the sprocket first then line up the cams. just make sure your intake cam is just about to open and your exhaust cam for your number 1 cylinder has just been done but thats mine hope it helps.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

ok well i got the timing right and it tried to start up....and it started a little and blew black super black smoke out of the exhaust...and then it would die..it would run blow smoke for a second then die...then i noticed i had a huge fuel leak again....Could the smoke be because of the leak? or did i get farked on my "new" engine
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well if its blue im pretty sure your burning oil.black smoke would be from fuel being burnt or the engine running too rich. but with the blue smoke would be caused by piston blow by, rings gone bad or your seals are farked. mine did that right before i rebuilt her. keep us posted
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

ok well it was definently from fuel...I did my timing again...this time i checked with my cams to make sure i was on the comp stroke and tried to do everything beyond perfect....and well lets just say it fired right up and dang that bp has some powwwerrr!!! compared to the sohc... i felt like i was driving a fast car... it was sweeet. but then i noticed that my temp gauge was going up so i went back to my house....and i noticed there wasn't any coolant going back into the radiator so i'm thinking i got a bad temp valve..seeing that i live in arizona temps never get below 40 and thats in hte mornings by afternoons it's in hte 70's i might just take it out.....and see what happens it could still be my water pump as off right now i'm really not sure..
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

did u put water in. or coolant
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

glad to hear you got it running :) so does the bp run 120hp on the crank? or is it more then that?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Bumpysbro wrote:glad to hear you got it running :) so does the bp run 120hp on the crank? or is it more then that?
more like 125hp at the crank. atlantamx-3 dyno at 111whp i believe could be wrong.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

wow almost the same power as a stock v6 mx3.

you find anything else out gottagofaster? do a compression test on the motor and do a wet test after that to see what your dealing with.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

I had a new discovery about the ford bp belts.....basically all the pullies are different my my sohc to my bp so i'm going to have to either get the pullys from the alternator or get new pullys for my water pump and my crank....but it's all coming together it's running pretty strong as off right now...also i reved it up to 7k rpms and dang that motor screams hah sounds kinda likea street bike haha
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

Gottagofaster wrote:I had a new discovery about the ford bp belts.....basically all the pullies are different my my sohc to my bp so i'm going to have to either get the pullys from the alternator or get new pullys for my water pump and my crank....but it's all coming together it's running pretty strong as off right now...
Just use the pulleys from the sohc, water pump pulley and underdrive pulley. Also you can use the alternator too.

Gottagofaster wrote:]also i reved it up to 7k rpms and dang that motor screams hah sounds kinda likea street bike haha
If that impresses you, I wonder how you'll react to the sound of a turbocharged motor.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

haha, well thats the next project i suppose....but yeah It sounded soo much better then my pos sohc.....so i guess now i'm taking more belts and pullies off haha always more work....
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

7000 rpms mines goes up to 7500 rpms i won't go up there all the time. will u go to the track and time it.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”