Fog lights missing

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Tropical Emerald 1993

Fog lights missing

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

Well front and rear RIGHT fog lights weren't flashing so I went to check what's up. And what a suprise: there are no lights and cables for them! Must be a serial failure.

Can anyone with '93 confirm?
Taras

Post by Taras »

Huh? NA spec ones do not have any fogs.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

maybe someone stole em?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Tropical Emerald 1993

I don't think you understood me.

Fog lights are 2 little round on front of the car and two near the plates on the back.

Both RIGHT are missing.

There are no bulbs.

There are no wires and plugs for them.

So I guess it's manufacturing failure.

I'd be happy if anyone can confirm.
(or aliens stole them :P )
Taras

Post by Taras »

I am still confused. Post some pics.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tropical Emerald 1993 since you're new here it may be best to gide you in a way that will benefit you and assist us in future queries.
First, all newbies should fill out all of there profile WRT their location. Additionally, it should also be supplemented with a brief description of your car WRT Year, Model, and modifications in the available space provided for your signature. All of this is done in your profile. Failure to complete this is going to create exactly what you're experiencing now - numerous posts back and forth just to try and clarify the initial query. A waste of yours and our time.
Having said that, I'm going to take a wild stab and say that you own an E-Spec MX (European model). And that you have the incorporated fog lights on the front that come standard on all E-Spec MX's. What you probably didn't know and should some time in the future do is get familiar with the different worldwide applications of the MX - because it does vary a great deal in some areas of the car's specifications.
Why others aren't too sure what you mean is that on an E-Spec MX the front fog lights are tied in directly to the 2 inner red lights on the rear. Those 2 inner lights on the rear are reserved specifically for the applicational use of the fog lights and nothing else. Whereas, on the NA Spec MX (North American), those 2 inner rear red lights are married up with the 2 outer red lights, giving in essence, 2 running/brake lights on each side on the rear. The E-Spec MX I believe uses the 2 outer rear red lights for the running/brake light application only.
This is why there were so many confusing counter posts trying to clarify what you were trying to say.
Why were those bulbs not present when you investigated?? Who knows, except the previous owner perhaps. Source some new bulbs and go from there.
Again, please follow previously mentioned recommendations so as to negate any future missinterpretations. As an added note, when posing a query, it's always best to tell a bit of a story or history leading up to your problem. Your replies will be quicker and better for it. Post back your findings and solutions if you could and welcome to MX-3.com

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tropical Emerald 1993

thanks John for the guidelines.

I'll do the update and throw some pics. You'll be amazed.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tropical Emerald 1993 wrote:thanks John for the guidelines.
I'll do the update and throw some pics. You'll be amazed.
NP bud. BTW, forgot to mention that only the NA Spec MX's DID NOT get the fog lights, most other variations around the world DID get the fog lights hence the difference in tail light illumination/configuration.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Tropical Emerald 1993

To make it easier I'll show you the difference between REAR left and right fog lights. Right fog lights are missing.

-here are the rear left lights:

-and here are the rear right lights:

-here's the left fog bulb:

-and the right fog bulb:

-here's another interesting thing, indicators on the left have only front fog lights:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Judging from the pic alone (since I don't acutally know the answer) I'd say that Mazda made the car with only one fog light on one side. The blank in the other hole looks very factory and the fact that there are no wires for it either leads me to believe that it was made that way on purpose.
As for the fog signal I don't see a need for one, sp why should there be one?
Are you sure that there is supposed to be a fog in each tail and a dummy light to tell you that they are on?
You might also try posting in the Euro section of the forum. Surely someone from the UK or somewhere knows the answer.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

For what I've been told, for rear fog lights, there is only 1 light. It's the inner light on the drivers side. Since it's the right hand side light that is non-functional, I'm going to get that it's a left-hand drive car.

Also, both outter lamps on each side should function as brake lights.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I've seen variations of this in Europe, (specifically germany). The running rear fog light when turned on appears to be a super bright level - almost like a brake light was on. When front fog lights are turned on the rear fog marker light comes on too. I believe that I saw on most Mercedes and BMW's that it was only the drivers side (LHD of course) of an apparent pair of rear lights would be super bright. Although it's corresponding mate on the right side would also have a bulb in it but was only of a running low intensity brightness. I'm not sure if it applies to both LHD and right hand drive but i was always under the belief that when approahing a car from behind in the fog the first light seen should be the fog light and that it should line up with the drivers side of the car for LHD.
I don't know why there wasn't a low wattage running bulb configuration supplied for the right side. There are sockets for those lights available and if it were me, I'd run the single filament bulb socket in the right side and tap into the outside bulbs running light wire (low wattage) since there will be 3 wires in the bulb (ground/low wattage/high wattage). Sorry if a I may have created a bit of confusion, but I wasn't sure if I was looking at a RHD or LHD since I'm not 100% sure both fall under the same fog light wiring configuration.
Tropical Emerald 1993

Thanks for the replys.

Yes it's a LHD and the fog light is very bright. I don't know what they were thinking im mazda (except to reduce costs on bulbs an wires :P ) but this look a bit weird. Imagine having only left rear refular/stop light :roll:

Only thing that left unexplained now is why there's no indicator for the rear fog light? (Yes I like asking questions for a car that's worth below 3500€)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tropical Emerald 1993 wrote:Thanks for the replys.

Yes it's a LHD and the fog light is very bright. I don't know what they were thinking im mazda (except to reduce costs on bulbs an wires :P ) but this look a bit weird. Imagine having only left rear refular/stop light :roll:

Only thing that left unexplained now is why there's no indicator for the rear fog light? (Yes I like asking questions for a car that's worth below 3500€)
Do you mean an indicator in the dash that's separate for the rear fog light. I believe that the single indicator on the dash is for both the front and rear since the rears only come on when the fron ones are turned on and are integrated into the front fog lights. If there was a failure of any of those i believe that you may get an indication in some form. Perhaps in the blank space above the fog indicator. But NO, I don't believe there is a separate indicator set aside for the rear fog light. It's all working as it's supposed to or designed to.
Being LHD means that the rear fog will be situated on the left side and gives the driver to the rear of you some sort of orientation as to where you are during extreme visability situations. Had it been a RHD, than everything would be reversed and the rear fog would reside in the right rear inside spot instead of the left - again for the rear drivers orientation of how/where you are situated.
I hope that helps clear things up a bit. Why do I feel you've got another question pending. This must be the work of a fellow Dutchman? .... LOL.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

rear fog lights ? they look like reversing lights to me? Being in the Us maybe thats why im ma bit confused. Doesnt every cal have back up lights?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”