KL-DE or KL-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
thedog300

KL-DE or KL-ZE

Post by thedog300 »

Well, I've bene offered a KL-DE for around 350$, or I could get a KL-Ze from somewhere in toronto for around 800+ECU, is the preformance difference very large between the engines, do you think its worth the extra money, thank you. BTW the KL-Ze has under 20,000km, the KL-Ze would have prob around 50,000KM
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Thats really your call, and how much money you want to spend. If your willing to spend a little more, obviously the ZE will be quicker. I went with a DE because of price, reliablility and exact mileage. Plus the money I saved went into the car in other ways.

Like many refer to, if your going to do a swap, do it right. The money I saved went into a nice clutch, headers, timing belt and water pump, and mazdaspeed engine mounts.
However If you have money to spend, you can do all that plus the ZE, so thats why its your call.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

there isnt really any performance diff between de and ze...there is a hp diff but the performnce isnt actually much there is some but imo its not worth the extra few hundred for this is just personl opinion but i still think the ze performs pretty good... i have de performs great if i was offered a de or a ze id pick the de actually
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

They say KL-DE is bether for turbo. So with the difference of money you get, you can start planning your turbo system. 8)

Also, DE=2.0l while ZE=2.5l displacement
because of this some parts you'll need later, (like gaskets) will not be so easy to find like for the ZE. :roll:
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

ummm kl-de is 2.5 litre same as kl-ze......kFze is 2litre
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

You're right fieromx3. My appologies :oops:

the exact info is :arrow:

K8: 1.8 liter (1844cc)
KF: 2.0 liter (1995cc)
KJ: 2.3 liter (2254cc)
KL: 2.5 liter (2497cc and 2507cc)

"E" stands for "Electronic Fuel Injection" (EFI)

"D" indicates that the engine is a dual overhead camshaft model

"Z" indicates that the engine is a Mazda performance version. For the K-Series engines, Mazda adds higher compression pistons, more agressive camshafts and larger ports in the heads and intake manifold.

"M" indicates that the engine is a "Miller-Cycle" engine which utilizes a screw-type supercharger and dual intercoolers to charge the incoming air, boosting its output.

Zoom Zoom ;-)
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

F stands for fugly engine :P dont get a kf.. i mean yeah sure with the mods i have i can easily take a stock de off the line and after but.. if i had a de it would be faster. Imo i would get a ze considering ive ridden in one and the power is amazing. I rode on a local de mx3 and it was not that impressive. It was stock tho. With my mods i would chose a klze but if i was stock and starting from scratch.. a de
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I've had a DE MX-3 before and I have a ZE MX-3 now. I'll have to say I'd take the ZE if I was running all motor and if I had a turbo setup ready to go I'd get a DE. But definitely if I didnt have turbo money ASAP I'm going with the ZE all day.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Dom

Post by Dom »

id say ze over de, even if ur going turbo, its actually quite a big difference
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I would say they are pretty close. i would go for rither one. I got my Ze for a good price so tahst my choic

But I will say with a ZE with the correct manifold and ECU will have alot more top end power than the DE. the torque i say is pretty close.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

yeaif u have the ze IM, ECU and kl-31 cams the top end is really nice...i still prefer my de though lol even though its still slow as hell
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”