new owner. some questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jricoctg

new owner. some questions

Post by jricoctg »

hey guys. i just picked up a 1994 MX-3 base model for 500 bucks. great condition and only 124 K on it. im a member on newtiburon.com and evom.net so im pretty used to the rules. lol. ive searched around but couldnt find anything. im cncerned on how slow my MX-3 is. i have the 1.6 4 cyl. any advice on how to cheaply modify it to get some more horsepower? the KZLE or BP..(SP?) swaps r too expensive. i was thinking the basics, intake exhaust and stuff. any suggestions? money is very tight.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

sorry dude, not a big market for MX-3 aftermarket parts, so your options are limeted and useually on the expensive side. however there are nice Cold air intake kits available only on ebay for really inexpensive i think less than 40 bucks. i dont have one but i know alot of people are happy eith them. thats always a good start. and just remember most stuff that fits the pre 1994 miata engine will fit our car (same engine, different drivetrain setup)

search around for specifics, chaces are if you want to do it someone has done/bought/installed it before
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

If you look around you can find what your looking for. You can find a lot at http://www.corksports.com Although if you do the work yourself a BP (not BPT) swap is not that exspensive. Even when you pay someone to do it in the land of swaps its fairly cheap.

I spent more on aftermarket parts for my car than it cost to do my swap.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Swaps might cost money but paying will get you more.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
jricoctg

Post by jricoctg »

i finally got to drive it today. i was busy yesterday i couldnt take it for a spin. stock its actually not too bad. i can definatly feel the weight difference. it handles pretty decent too. its definatly quicker than my 2 liter galant. this car will hopefully last me a year or so until i can afford a tiburon. i kno..ur gonna say y a hyundai, but i like em.
dohc_rs

Post by dohc_rs »

hehe funny, i use to own a mx3 before i bought a tiburon. they look nicer than most other cars, just lacks the speed :roll:
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

I like the look of the newer tiburons just not the power output. I have always thought they were slow espically for how much power they claim. Either way I dont even own an Mx-3 anymore, I own two hondas, a mazda pickup and a Starion.

:shrug:

As long as the Mx-3 is not an auto they have a decent amoutn of pep, mazda autos are ugh.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
jricoctg

Post by jricoctg »

tibi's could be faster. if they came stock with 200 hp instead of the 175, im sure it will change alot of things. but its still pretty quick. of course the fastest car ive ever driven was my friends 180HP grand am GT. lol. id be hapy with it. save up for a supercharger and get like 50 horsies out of it. ive seen some quick tiburons with only a couple grand under the hood. im really saving up for an EVO.
Danny

Post by Danny »

i mos def agree
Penguins Pwn All

Post by Penguins Pwn All »

A new hootinhimer will def. boost your horsepower and torque a good bit for ohh....maybe.... 150 bucks? There hard to find, very rare cuz its made by a german company called "Ukcnuchin" there really good. I have connections so i got one pretty easily but if I told you how/where I got it the dude would kill me...for reals.
If horsepower could be measured in rain, I would have another flood like Noah under my hood....
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

jricoctg wrote:tibi's could be faster. if they came stock with 200 hp instead of the 175, im sure it will change alot of things. but its still pretty quick. of course the fastest car ive ever driven was my friends 180HP grand am GT. lol. id be hapy with it. save up for a supercharger and get like 50 horsies out of it. ive seen some quick tiburons with only a couple grand under the hood. im really saving up for an EVO.
A few grand under the hood of most cars car go a long way. Personally I would love to see what mistu motors are easy swaps to do. I am sure someone out there has dropped in a 4g63 by now.

Power is not always what creates speed Lotus has proved this one more than one time over. I dont recall tiburons being overlyt heaftly like most other newer cars.. ugh
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

torpedan wrote: A few grand under the hood of most cars car go a long way. Personally I would love to see what mistu motors are easy swaps to do. I am sure someone out there has dropped in a 4g63 by now.
where i work at there is a coustmer car 98 hyundai sonata drag use only with a 1st gen 4G63 built motor with a GT40 turbo. full works its tha kind of car poeple ask what the hell u doing this POS i pop the hood and shock they are.
Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on July 10th, 2006, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
jricoctg

Post by jricoctg »

my mx-3 isnt too bad tho. on the highway it lacks a little power, but its WWAAYY lighter than most cars i know of. so it makes up for it on normal roads. its my first standard car too, so im not used to having more control over how fast i wanna go. im not dissapointed at all with it. my firewall rattles around 3000 RPM, but it stoped at like 3200. just a quick fix.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
torpedan wrote: A few grand under the hood of most cars car go a long way. Personally I would love to see what mistu motors are easy swaps to do. I am sure someone out there has dropped in a 4g63 by now.
where i work at there is a coustmer car 98 hyundai sonata drag use only with a 1st gen 4G63 built motor with a GT40 turbo. full works its tha kind of car poeple ask what the hell u doing this POS i pop the hood and shock they are.

Yeah its always good to see the odd swaps. There is someone around town here that has a old colt with a 4g63 swap as well. I think he was selling it though. Either way from what i have heard riding in it is a bit on the scary side.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
jricoctg

Post by jricoctg »

god, i wish engine swapping wasnt so damn hard on an mx-3. i dont kno a whole lot about swapping, but is it as hard as this with everycar. ive never heard of so many engine swap problems. u need to buy the engine, ecu, tranny ,basically the whole thing. better off finding a junked v6 and fix it up. lol it might be cheaper.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”