Dead car PLEEEEASE help.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3sohc

Dead car PLEEEEASE help.

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i started my car today and moved it into the garage. and then i went out later in the day to try and start it again and it just turned and didnt turn over, it went "rererererere clunk" i tested the alternator, it was perfect, and the lights still come on bright like always, so im wundering if its the starter, what do you think? and if it is the starter where would it be located????? i should also add when i tried to turn it over it smelt like pure gasoline in the engine compartment, any help will be awesome THANK YOU alot!!!!!!
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

HOLD ON, so your car turns over fine, and theres lots of battery voltage, and you think its the starter? even tho your car turns over fine.

:S now that just doesnt make sence.

im assuming you have a b6-me under the hood, check for spark, check for fuel. start there.

it worries me that you are planning on doing a bp swap, and you dont know where the starter is located.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

check intake hoses for cracks, take spark plug out and snap it back into the wire and hold it against your valve cover and make sure it sparks.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

ill do the intake hose thing, but im not sure what you mean about the spark plug thing...?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:ill do the intake hose thing, but im not sure what you mean about the spark plug thing...?
hey are you doing your bp swap yourself?

Bochek
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

yea i am. i have the directions printed and ive been studying them frequently, im pretty confident. y do you ask? cuz i suck?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:yea i am. i have the directions printed and ive been studying them frequently, im pretty confident. y do you ask? cuz i suck?
im asking because you dont seem to have basic knowledge about how a car engine works.

im not trying to piss you off or anything just trying to keep your car in one piece and not in the scrapyard.

Bochek
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i know how an engine works, i just never heard the touch the plus wire to the vc trick.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:i know how an engine works, i just never heard the touch the plus wire to the vc trick.
this will tell you if the engine is getting spark
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

ok, i will try that, but im in the process of pulling the starter anytways so i will test that first.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

didnt you say that the engine turns over over fine?

Bochek
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

no it sounds like its trying to turn over, but it just doesnt.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i should also mention that it smells like gass big time under the hood, pure gas.
MechaManZero

Re: Dead car PLEEEEASE help.

Post by MechaManZero »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:i started my car today and moved it into the garage. and then i went out later in the day to try and start it again and it just turned and didnt turn over, it went "rererererere clunk" i tested the alternator, it was perfect, and the lights still come on bright like always, so im wundering if its the >>>>>>>starter<<<<<<< , what do you think? and if it is the starter where would it be located????? i should also add when i tried to turn it over it smelt like pure gasoline in the engine compartment, any help will be awesome THANK YOU alot!!!!!!
Autozone does a free test if you take the starter out and bring it to them. I am pretty sure all of them have the machine to test it. We test batteries, starters, alternators, and coilpacks. Your starter may have a dead spot if you just moved it from one place to another. You can always test your starter by having someone push your car while you are in first gear with the key on and when you get a little movement try starting it. The awsome thing about a manual is you can jump start. Also your starter is above the halfshaft.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

alright thanks, yeah im like 99% sure it is the starter.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”