Major engine problems!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Shiverptb

Major engine problems!

Post by Shiverptb »

Ok i have a handfull of questions
1. My car sometimes dies on me like it did when i had a bad ignition coil so i did the HEI mod and it was working great for about 4 months and now its not doin it often only on long drives but then when it does cut out i found out if i pour some water in between the valve cover and the fresh air duct it hits the exhaust manifold pipe and cools off and then the car starts right back up thats the only time it will start bak up is when i cool it off! otherwise it will jus crank but wont start.

2.I think its part of the problem but my check engine light comes on after my first problem started happening and the car will still drive and everything will be ok but as soon as the engine gets to warm/hot it will do it again.

3. When i installed the HEI mod was i also supposed to replace the disty with it or was it not necessary.?

a little background here wat ive done

HEI mod
new alternator
new wires ngk
new plugs ngk
new cold air
new fuel pump
new fuel filter
new radiator
new water pump
all belts new
new p/s pump
so my 92 gs is doin pretty good now except for those small problems any ideas will be appreciated!
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

What code do you get when you read out the OBD?
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

could still be the coil beginning to fail since you only did the hei mod and not the external coil
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

When you did the HEI mod - did you take out the stock ignition module or atleast disconnect it? If the bad stock module is still connected then there may not be much benefit from a HEI module.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Addan external coil to the HEI..aned check for any vacumn leaks. How is the PCV valve as well.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

ariesdude wrote:When you did the HEI mod - did you take out the stock ignition module or atleast disconnect it? If the bad stock module is still connected then there may not be much benefit from a HEI module.
how come this isn't mentioned in Gro's writeup? the only thing mentioned in there is disabling the stock coil. i didn't see any mention of disabling the stock ignition module
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

LOL well its the same comment i made.. but everyone got mad at me for metioning it and i was told to write the faq myself... LOL its a great faq but well we need to add that small detail to disable the coil.. i think it does say it now.. not to sure. I do remember getting yelled at LOL "HEY WHY DONT YOU WRITE YOUR OWN FAQ THEN WE CAN POST IT" and yeah thats probably your problem.. i came across that same situation.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Shiverptb

Post by Shiverptb »

OHH yea i didnt disconnect anything i left it all i dont kno what to disconnect though! it wasnt in the write up thanks and i did notice that the pcv valve has been getting quite a bit of oil in it and also when i looked at my spark plug wire 2 of the 6 have oil in them i cleaned it up and ima keep and eye out on them! thanks ill keep u updated on wat happens
Shiverptb

Post by Shiverptb »

ok i looked and i cant find out how to disable the original ignition module or even where its located so if someone could post a link of where to find it at or jus tell me wat to do i would be appreciative! thanks in advace!
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Usually bad valve cover gaskets in our motors leak oil onto the plugs. The stock module is inside the distributor - so you may have to either open up the distributor and physically remove the module or you can leave the module inside and disconnect the 2 wires that go to it. The wires i think are the orange trigger wire and the wire next to it in the 6 pin connector.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”