question about the klde swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jamestakay

question about the klde swap

Post by jamestakay »

i have a klde just waiting to get in but i was wondering if i will be able to keep my air conditioning? i was also wondering how does the ze fit underneath the hood? i plan to get a ze intake manifold, plus have spacers from the heads to the intake manifold, just wondering if it will be bumping my hood, or if it will be ok? also plan to get headers, so that's why i'm wondering about the whole ac thing, it gets really humid over here when it's summer!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

The block is the same size as the K8 so you can keep the air conditioning. If you use the curved neck manifold you shoul dbe fine to clear the hood, even with those little spacers
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

thanks
alleycat29

have fun

Post by alleycat29 »

once you get that bad boy in have fun
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

To the best of my knowledge the only clearance issues ever incountered when swapping a stock ze into the mx3 is with the master cylinder and throttle body. Never heard of any issues with the hood.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Moved to the V6 forum.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

strait neck ZE mani wont fit. blazered is correct, the tbody hits the master cylinder. The DE mani also is very close there as well. Look at when you swap because I almost ripped off my master cylinder b/c the tb caught on it.

Ac will be fine, mine worked until i took it off.

By the way its SOOOOOO worth it. The car much more fun to drive
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Hmmmmm, *scratch's head and is trying to figure out why one would go through the arduous process of an engine swap with a DE and then continue with installing a ZE intake manifold*. For the gains, albeit modest, why not make this whole process pay off even bigger and swap in a ZE rather than a DE. Why you ask, hmmmm, perhaps that any DE that is sourced these days, it's going to have nearly as many miles on it as our K8 engines. So we haven't gained a whole heck of a lot here. But, on the other hand, sourcing a ZE from an importer could net someone an engine with approximately 30 - 50 k miles on it. A substantially lower amount than any DE would normally be. Sourcing a DE or a ZE from importer "X" will probably cost only a few hundred dollars difference anyway. Now lets through into the equation that when sourcing that ZE you're already going to get a ZE IM. But the real kicker is the projected longer life to be expected from the ZE and let's not forget that big jump in HP over the DE engine also. If anyone was ever to do a swap with a K8 I'd always recommend a ZE. Well unless someone went and dropped a completely rebuilt DE on your doorstep, then I'd rethink what I just said.
Issues with clearance with ZE IM's. Subject has been covered in depth if a search was done utilizing perhaps spacers, phenolic, clearance, outlaw as a few key words. Only clearance issue to be concerned is if you want to use the MS8 IM. Some refer to it as the straight neck but I believe that it's designation is actually a long neck and the KLDE IM on the PGT would be considered the "short neck". At any rate the straight neck IM has definite clearance issues with the brake master cylinder. There are ways around that but I believe it's a closely guarded secret amongst the rank and file. The Eunos 800 (ZE curved neck) IM will have no clearance issues with that brake cylinder or with the (OEM) hood.

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”