Jspec w/ HID Retrofit

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
BuGS

Jspec w/ HID Retrofit

Post by BuGS »

I know what you guys are thinking, but I have a friend that has some Jspec lights on his honda, just got a H4 HID retrofit And with the beam patterns it actually comes out looking good without an overly annoying glare. My headlights are worse for glare than his w/ the kit.

So I am wondering if anyone out there has the Jspec lights with a retrokit? I know H4 is a better base than 9004 so I think it might actually turn out good, esspecially with the better beam pattern.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

When I have the money, I was thinking of doing exactly that.

http://www.visionbulbs.com/ is a sponsor for the one car club I'm in, their HID kits seemed to be very well priced. Mind you, getting E-Spec glass headlights aren't cheap, and with the HID's, the whole setup would cost just under C$1000 (the last set I looked into, the guy wanted, after conversion, over $500 for the headlights alone, before shipping), which is why i decided to do my LSD tranny first. But it seems like a definite good idea. If you get it done before me, definitely post your results!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

anyone else??
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: Mind you, getting E-Spec glass headlights aren't cheap,
Mike, why go with the E-Spec glass units when the plastic J-Spec ones are much cheaper to get. Unless you are specifically looking for the LHD E-Spec ones from Holland, Germany, France etc and not the RHD one's from the UK. Only difference being that the roadside illumination is on the wrong side.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jschrauwen wrote: Mike, why go with the E-Spec glass units when the plastic J-Spec ones are much cheaper to get. Unless you are specifically looking for the LHD E-Spec ones from Holland, Germany, France etc and not the RHD one's from the UK. Only difference being that the roadside illumination is on the wrong side.
Cause their plastic. No point in spending the money on some nice bulbs and put them behind foggy plastic lenses. Besides, J-spec plastic, as well as the UK glass lenses beam patterns are on the wrong side. Like I mentioned, I did source a set, but he was asking for $500 (after exchange) for them. If I'm going to spend the money to improve my lighting, I'm going to do it right, but my tranny work wil be first.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

hey mike i can get you a full set of HIDs (they are h4 so you need to mod the housing, i can help you on that one it's not hard at all) for $350 (2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, and all wiring)

if you want give me a call my cell is 905 351 3747
i can also get you a good price on racing seats

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I appreciate the offer actually, but I can get them through Visionbulbs.com. I get a 15% discount being a paid TSS member. Retail, the H4 kit runs for $297, and I'm guessing they mean a hibeam/lowbeam version goes for $357. Even then, they have a 9004 kit for $286, so I wouldn't even bother with cutting it and putting in H4's. And don't worry about the racing seats, I've never seen any fit in an Mx-3 to my liking, their usually too high, so I've set my mind on getting my stock seats reupholstered with the rest of my interior to match.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: Cause their plastic. No point in spending the money on some nice bulbs and put them behind foggy plastic lenses. Besides, J-spec plastic, as well as the UK glass lenses beam patterns are on the wrong side. Like I mentioned, I did source a set, but he was asking for $500 (after exchange) for them. If I'm going to spend the money to improve my lighting, I'm going to do it right, but my tranny work wil be first.
I agree, I would never spend my money on nice bulbs and put them behind foggy lenses either. That's why I spent money on nice H4 bulbs and put them behind my clear J-Spec lenses. Not all plastic lenses are foggy. I already mentioned the roadside beam pattern so your not telling me anything new. The H4 beam pattern is quite good and I can't distinctively see a discerning difference from the left to right side curb illumination. FWIW, the LHD ones would be a nice find though, good luck. :2thumbsup:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Well looking around I have discovered 2 things:

First off, The HID kits for H4 have a low beam setting, then a High Low setting.

Second off, to cater to all the H4 non-projector headlights in Japan and Asia, they have developed a Glare sheild so that you yill not create more glare for oncomming cars.

I will be getting one of the Kits off of ebay, costs around $155. They recently did a groupbuy on the 300zxclub forum and comparing that company to a "name" brand company that is currently doing a groupbuy there, there has been no difference except for the warrenties, but for a 12month warrenty on both ballasts and bulbs I think I might do it :)
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Well I was talking to my favorite HID Mod, and he told me to go with my own OEM hit kit. So I am in the process of building one. My lights came with some awesome light bulbs so I think I will just throw em in for now light that.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

BuGS wrote: I will be getting one of the Kits off of ebay, costs around $155.
Clayton, care to share the ebay link for this one with the rest of the membership. I'm sure there may be a select few interested in your find. :wink:
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

lol, after talking it over with Taras, he had some strong points on why not to get a kit, the biggest factor it came down to was the solenoid they use to go from High beam to Low beam in the ballast I guess. Those things go bad very quick, and he did point out that although they give you yr warranties and stuff that it is illegeal to sell the kits in the states so that they don't have to redeem the warrenty. So, that being said, I have decided to build my own using OEM Phillips and Denso stuff to ensure quality. I do lose my highbeam option, but with HID lowbeam I think I should be fine.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

BTW as an Update, Jspec Beam patterns ROCK!!!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

BuGS wrote:BTW as an Update, Jspec Beam patterns ROCK!!!
Yes they do Clayton, unfortunately, they illuminate the left side of the road more than the right. An inherant trait of RHD J-Spec units, but agreed, the pattern is noticably better than the NA Spec ones and is well worth the switch-over. Glad you talked it over with Taras before hand though.
John
Last edited by jschrauwen on July 4th, 2006, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Would it be safe to assume that when you lose your highbeam you also lose the daytime running lights too?
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”