V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
illapino

Compatible Engines

Post by illapino »

Let me properly introduce my Precidia (yes, I'm in Canada):

1992 Mazda MX-3 Precidia GS
220 500 kms
V6 Engine, Standard

Now for my question: what engines can the Precidia take? I'm in search of one so that I'll be ready if my present engine reaches its limit (or if I somehow decide not to spend two grand on new lifters). I found a 92 MX-3 engine at an autowrecker going for $1200 CDN; it has 172 000 on it, lesser than mine obviously.

Can I put a 96, 95, or 93 Precidia engine in my car?
Can I put a Honda engine in my car?
As soon as you put in a new engine, does the mileage on the new engine instantly take effect on the dash?

Also, how sure would the mileage be on removed engines? Should I believe the numbers I'm given, and how would I know if that number was tampered?

Sorry for the interrogation. I'm a virgin
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

Start by reading the V6 FAQ, especially the ones about KLZE engines.

As soon as you put in a new engine, does the mileage on the new engine instantly take effect on the dash?
:2thumbsup: I love that question!!! ROFL
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: Compatible Engines

Post by mr1in6billion »

illapino wrote:I found a 92 MX-3 engine at an autowrecker going for $1200 CDN; it has 172 000 on it, lesser than mine obviously.
Can I put a 96, 95, or 93 Precidia engine in my car?
Why would you grab an engine that has 172K on it? Also, search before asking about engines. There is more than enough info on engine swaps on this site.
Can I put a Honda engine in my car?
Why do you want a honda engine?
hahahahaha.....
Also, how sure would the mileage be on removed engines?
If it hasn't been tampered with then it should be accurate.
Should I believe the numbers I'm given, and how would I know if that number was tampered?
To tell you the truth, numbers mean nothing. My old gf has a car with over 500K miles and it runs great and has never been rebuilt and yet i've seen cars blow up after only 60K miles. Check the engine, not the numbers.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

You can get a klze engine for less then $1200. That engine will make your car pretty fast. Search klze swap.

Your odometer does not know that a new engine was dropped in the car, so no it will not change.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

illapino, I would stay away from used MX3 engines simply because they will probably will have fairly high miles, be more expensive than they need to be because they are a unique 1.8L V6 and the wreckers know about the uniqueness of those engines or at least there limited availability. For lesser money you can use a KLDE engine as a substitute. It is the same amount of work and effort as an MX3 engine would be but is bigger in displacement (Litres) but not in overall size and dimensions. Basically the engines look exactly the same in some respects with the exception of the intake manifolds. The KLDE is a 2.5L engine that will produce more noticable power than the 1.8L engine. The KLDE engines were found on the MX6, 626 and the Ford Probe GT. Their availability is much greater but again you may find these with high mileage. The ultimate choice would be like mxmaz has mentioned. To get a KLZE engine. It's still another Mazda 2.5L engine again that has J-Spec classification. The beauty of that is is that they get imported with approximately 50,000km on them.....give or take. That will be substantially lower than any engine that you could posssibly source from a wreckers. The KLZE engine is even more powerfull than the KLDE engine and again is an easy drop in since it is still part of the same Mazda K-series engines. That KLZE can be acquired for less than the price you were quoted by the wreckers for a used MX3 1.8L V6 engine.
illapino, this should make your decision quite easy at this point. A low mileage KLZE engine is the best option that I would consider if you think you may be in the market for replacing your's soon. If you post your location in Canada, there may be people that could direct you to an engine importer near you. Good luck.
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

illapino wrote:Can I put a Honda engine in my car?
You can put in any engine, as long as you have the time and money to accomplish your goal. It doesn't matter what car you have, it will not take any engine other than what it was designed for, and usually the same series in that type. The Mx-3 was designed to accept Mazda B-Series 4Cyl and K-Series V6 engines, that's it that's all, anything else is pure custom work, so it will cost you for no true gain. You can get something compatible for your Mx-3 that will give you something comparable anyway in terms of performance, but if you want a Honda engine, get a Honda car that will take it. I've heard that Honda swaps aren't that easy electrically, imagine that, plus some, and custom fabrication to get the entire drivetrain to fit in and working.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

These guys knows their stuff. As do many others is this site. Jspec/JDM engines, in my opinion, is the best route for low mileage used engines. There are many engine distrubutors in Canada that carry these. If you were to fill in your "location" in your profile it would allow others in your area to help you out. Like many others in this site I would suggest getting a KLZE in your MX. You wouldn't believe the difference! Plus, I got mine here in Toronto for $800 CAD. Why spend almost twice as much for an engine that already has it's days numbered. Use the search and good luck.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

illapino wrote:L

Also, how sure would the mileage be on removed engines? Should I believe the numbers I'm given, and how would I know if that number was tampered?
The only way to tell the true milleage is if you pull it from the car itself and look at the Odometer, cause the car's odometer is the only indication of the car's milleage, reason why it's illegal to tamper with it. Best is to get the engine from a reputable engine dealer.

K8 (the stock 1.8L v6) engine is expensive because the Mx-3 is the only engine is came in, and it wasn't an overly popular car. The KLDE, the 2.5L V6 is a direct fit, swaps out and fits exactly like stock; no lie. KLDE's will be cheaper because it's avaiable in many vehicles; the Mazda Mx-6, 626, Millenia and the Ford Probe. Because there are more widely available, it's much cheaper, and you'll get a chance to choose, and find one with low milleage. The KLZE is the Japanese version of the 2.5L. It has 198hp instead of the 164hp of the domestic version. Torque numbers are still the same however. If you put in the 2.5L, which ever one you choose, the only things you should do is get the proper ECU (computer) and VAF (airflow sensor) for that engine. There's a few combinations you can go with, but a search can yeild those results, we'll keep that for a different thread/conversation.

As well, it's highly recommended to get a new clutch. The stock clutch can't quite handle the power, even (according to the mx-6'ers) the stock 2.5L clutch is questionable. Just a Stage 1 from a reputable clutch manufacturer can told the power of a KLDE/KLZE no problem. Oh, and keep the stock 1.8L flywheel, it's lighter so i'll give you better acceleration, it's actually a common mod amungst Mx-6/Probe'ers.

You can put in the stock engine and not need to upgrade the clutch, but it would be some good preventative maintenance cause you probably don't know it's condition. I got my KLZE over 3 years ago, and I paid C$1200 for it back then. If you shop around, you could probably get a KLZE, clutch and ECU/VAF for C$1200. If not, I can guarantee you can a KLDE with all items under $1200, and like I said, swaping in any 2.5L will be exactly like swapping out your stock engine, believe it or not, it's not too good to be true, it's a well designed Mazda platform. :D
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
illapino

Gracias

Post by illapino »

Thanks alot for the feedback. I'm impressed that an old car still is garnered with such loyalty. I actually mistook the Precidia as another car which I've found out now is the Toyota Paseo. I really have nothing against the Precidia but looking at its front head-on now makes me think of the word Firefly for some reason. There are custom tail lights for this car but I haven't come across any custom headlights to make it look a little meaner.

I will look into KLZEs then. I have no further questions for now. Except how - after putting in a new engine with much less mileage - can I change the numbers on my dash?

PS. I'm located in Victoria BC.
Let me know of any foreign engine importers do.
illapino

Let me discuss my Present Engine

Post by illapino »

Let me discuss my present engine in my precidia. I find that it has no drive. It hardly accelerates from zero I find. Sometimes I actually put the pedal to the metal and this seems to make no connection in the Precidia's brain: the car stays at its acceleration with hardly any increase. I thought it was just the engine's age dragging it back from its true potential, but a friend has made me believe that the engine is as it is. The default 1.8L V6 is 130hp right? KLZE: 200. I don't know what 130hp feels like, but I'm sure mine doesn't get up there as quickly as it did when it was new in 'ninety-two.

Starting up at an intersection when the light just turns green, my Precidia has barely any "pick up" and only stays on first gear for like 3 seconds before I have to switch to second gear. That is really fast too me, almost as if all of my gears have been reduced (5th is 4th, 4th is 3rd, 3rd is 2nd, you know what I mean?). I even ride it at 5th gear already when I'm going at city speeds (55 km/hr) and in this mode, the RPM is a little below "2" which I find relatively high, although this is my first "sports" car. Maybe "2" rpm for that speed and gear is cementedly normal though.

Thought I should clear that out. Give you guys a real feel to my GS so you can better appropriate my condition. I would really be interested in getting a KLZE. I see some on eBay for around half a grand but would rather find something locally which would be a diamond in the rough really. It doesn't matter what year the new engine is right? If KLZE, it doesn't matter what year either?
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

It's funny... When you describe your car's performance it reminds me of my car before I swapped in a KLZE. I remember not even considering trying to overtake cars on one-lane country roads knowing that I couldn't safely get around them doing 90 km/h! Now, with the swap, let's just say that I don't wait in line anymore. Before my old engine started bleeding oil it at least had some power to it. Then again, 130hp doesn't reach the wheels so you're maybe looking at 100hp. Even less on an old struggling car. There are a few people on this site in your neck of the woods that could help you source out an engine I'm sure.

Get on the buy/sell forum, read the FAQ on posting in it, then source one out.
You should even check out the MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)
It took me a while to find what I needed and do your homework if you want to get this done right. What I love about this site is that everyone's out here to help. Whatever you do, keep away from Tiger Japanese. Why? Look it up in the search.
illapino

The plot thickens . . .

Post by illapino »

KLZE, clutch and ECU/VAF for C$1200
This is really making me excited

Do most KLZEs come with clutch and ECU? Or do I have to hunt for those completely separately?

And then how much goes to the mechanic for installing it?

I haven't reached 30 posts yet to post a [WTB] but those in BC, please point me out to my KLZE
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

you want excitement, try a 1300 busa with nos!.

blink in first and your lisence is long gone
only thing grasshoppers hurt like hell at
full noise in top gear.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
illapino

JDM Importers

Post by illapino »

Engine Land
http://www.enginelandinc.com/main.asp?c ... gorykey=81

Sunrise JDM Motors
http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/mazda.php

Nagano Japanese
http://www.naganojapanese.com/jdm_klze.html

JDM Source
http://www.jdmsource.ca/v2/product.asp?ID=38

Tokyo Motor Imports
http://www.tokyomotorimports.com/engine/40/KLZE.html

The last few listed are based in Canada, but I still haven't found any importers on my side: the westside. JDM Source has a good appearance. Most of these engines go for at least 800 though. I noticed that some may be made for Automatic transmission. How specific should I be when choosing a KLZE? Make sure its a certain year (because I read that 94 and ups have a different number of sensor holes or something)? Make sure its for standard? ... damn, i guess you guys are sleeping in ur respective time zones right now. Its 2am here. I'm too excited and curious to count sheep. Rather count KLZEs ...
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

oi enough of the sheep jokes unless your g/f name is
baabra...
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”