Help me pick a exhaust tip style !!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Help me pick a exhaust tip style !!

Post by garfy1981 »

hello guys well heres the build up. I dropped in my klze lump into the mx-3 in dec 2005 but money ran short and i couldnt do anything with the exhaust at the time, so the ze was bolted to the complete standard 1.8 exhaust system from manifolds to end. Hence a recent dyno run of 143 whp.
I found a local company that will mandrel bend a complete 2.5 inch stainless exhaust system for me. Guys said if he did it in 2 inch i would be right on the limit for engine and wouldnt leave room for future mods. The system will be made up of uprated headers, hi flow cat ( cant be removed because of emmisions...doh !) right through to rear silencer. It may have a resonator mid way not sure yet depending on noise, guy said 2.5 inch is pretty deep.
My dillema is that i need to decide on a tailpipe design by july 2006.. so if you guys could post up some pics of your tailpipes that would help me out no end !!
Please dont post up what a standard tailpipe look likes because i already know :lol:

Heres a start; mate of mine tommy D mx-3 ( hope you dont mind me posting pic mate !!)

2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

2 inch is too small..... any KL car in north america comes with 2.25 from the factory
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

wasnt sure of factory size but it is being done in 2.5inch anyhow.
Just a addition could you guys post pics of exhaust fitted to factory fitted rear bumpers as it will make it easy to picture it. Just going through mx-3s on cardomain right now to see if i can find some more pics !!
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

if i were youmate i would go for a straight cut 3''

Mat's with the colt from JSC has got one on his, and it sounds the absolute nuts!!!!!

Makes a nice change than the usuall 4'' as well! :)

Have a lil listen to the vid on JSC of his car :P
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

No probs buddy on posting pic, I went for a 5" slash purely because our rear bumper is huge..... Mine looks much better in the flesh than in that pic, It personal taste, i love the Jap style and so it has to be 5" angled rear box and tip, Should be able to send my Manifolds up in a mth or so if your still interested bud, you could fit them and have the exhaust made to the header and downpipe set.......

I think 3" would look a bit small on the rear, im tempted to bring the exhaust out through the side like the S14 at Japfest, cut a hole in the foor, lol
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I'm using a 5 zigen fire muffler, its 2.5" in and 3.25" out Sounds very nice

here is how it looks on my old gs

the sound is very nice and clean I love it!
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I have 2.25 piping from the cat-back with a 2.5 resonator on my ZE. I hate the coffee can muffler look, so I went with a dual tip magnaflow muffler to keep it somewhat stock looking.

garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

i think thats spot on what im after bolverk, how wide is each exit on the exhaust is it 2x 2inch ???
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I believe this is my muffler:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... ain&id=756

If you look around on the site, you can get it with circular, square, or oval; straight or angled cut; single or double walled tips.

I think it sounds great, has a nice deep tone. Also, the muffler shop guy that installed it said it was the best sounding small car that he had ever done.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

You got good taste bolverk. Now get that thing slammed!!
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I know! and I would have when I had the money, but I opted to spend it on a ZE instead. Go before show!
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

ever thought of getting an oval tip? I have a magnaflow oval satin stainless muffler with an oval tip, i think it looks really sharp, alot different that other cars you see around. I'm tired of this round muffle bullsht. haha.

here it is..ignore the dirty, its shiny now.

1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Runing no cat is a bad idea...it's LOUD, like i mean LOUD (ask anyone from Toronto/Niagara who's heard it.) It sounds great cause it's literally sounds like a race car, but that fun goes away when you can't hear a thing, can't listen to music or have a conversation, and are heard from 12 blocks away, and your taking it easy.

I have a 2.5" crush-bent exhaust, modified OBX 1st gen headers, a magnaflo hi-flow cat and muffler with a skewed 4" tip. As bad as a 4" tip could look (mine's not bad, it's tucked right against and doesn't pertrude past the the bumper, and the skewed tip helps too), but it seem to have one of the quieter performance exhausts, and it doesn't even resonate inside the car. (Oh, and I don't have a resonator). I'm even quieter than some mx-3's with stock cats and have resonators. The only thing that we can think of is that it's teh dual-tip mufflers that make it louder. The large majority of Mx-3'ers go with the dual-tip for a stock-look, but it may be what's making the noise.

This is the only pic I have of my mx-3's rear off hand. I've never actualyl taken a specific pic of the muffler. But hopefully it'll give you an idea.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Matt

Post by Matt »

3.5"
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

yeah i had a de-cat pipe on mine and got pulled by the police all the time, so i put the cat back on still sounds loud but alot less trouble and less messing when it's mot time

Return to “Appearance”