Reducing wheel hop

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Philthy

Reducing wheel hop

Post by Philthy »

Ok guys, got the car out to the track late last wednesday. I got one pass before they closed. Ran a 17.09. I got a lot of wheel hop off the line. Iv'e ordered control arm bushings from corksport. Can anybody give any advise or ideas for reducing hop besides stiffer bushings. PS wife was riding along, without her the car would have been one hundred and uhh...errr ....pounds lighter? :lol: luv you honey. Also opened up exhaust, so well see this coming wednesday :D
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've found it is impossible. I don't drag much, but have about every suspension part replaced or upgraded and I still get mad wheel hop. I would suggest finding a local race shop to make some traction bars for you.
Wheel hop is from the flex of the suspension. The tire/power actually pulls the whole hub rearward and then it snaps back forward. Traction bars go from the rear side of the spindle to the frame just in front of the door. This helps keep things in line.
I could be wrong and there is a easier solution. Maybe some enlightenment from a dragger can add/correct.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

http://www.srdperformance.com/

They have some control arm bushings and other great stuff here that may help a little.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I was getting lots of wheel hop with my 17's on, then filled the engine mounts with urethane, changed suspesnion (tokico's + ST springs) never had a bit of wheel hop after that.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Thanks for the feedback. How do you fill your mounts with poly, is there a kit you can buy? I was thinking it would be easy to weld up some solid mounts just for the track. What do you guys think?
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
BoOdOg
Supporting Member

Post by BoOdOg »

buy mazdaspeed mounts or fill yours with urthane will cut down on wheel hop ALOT

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”