Theft Protection - Hood Latch

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Bucking Bronco

Theft Protection - Hood Latch

Post by Bucking Bronco »

It's incredibly easy to pop the hood from outside the car and I don't like it :?
I'm trying to look @ what I can do. I have a Clifford alarm installed and will be picking up my hood pin next time I go to the city but thats not enough. Should I try to box the area in with metal or Locking hood pins. I'm not sure if I want to drill holes in my hood I like my rusty sleeper look :D I know if they want it they get it but I just need to make the effort.

What have you done?

A friend of mine had a 92 GS and his stereo was stolen atleast 6 times and they only took the whole car twice :( He had an alarm, he started pulling wires and adding other theft protection but they still took it. He had a 3/4" chain and lock on the sub box and the came with lock cutters :evil:
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

well your best bet if your worried about your hood would be a set of hood pins, but on the other hand hood pins could in fact create more unwanted attention. Now other than a hood pin you could add on a peroximity sensor that way you can set the first warning zone around the car so the car will chrip even before they get close to your car. as for your system my sub box is actually bolted down to the frame then i put my sub in the box.

the only problem is like you said if someone wants something from your car bad enough they will just take the whole car or worse they smash your rear hatch and throw a screw driver through your sub

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

if youre that worried, move to better area, do not install stereo worth in car thats worth less than stereo youre installing into it. Get pitbull and chain it to wheel overnight, each night. Put bullet shell casings around the car so they know you're armed.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

mitmaks wrote:if youre that worried, move to better area, do not install stereo worth in car thats worth less than stereo youre installing into it. Get pitbull and chain it to wheel overnight, each night. Put bullet shell casings around the car so they know you're armed.
HAHAHAH

are you joking ? :lol:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

JWMX3 wrote:
mitmaks wrote:if youre that worried, move to better area, do not install stereo worth in car thats worth less than stereo youre installing into it. Get pitbull and chain it to wheel overnight, each night. Put bullet shell casings around the car so they know you're armed.
HAHAHAH

are you joking ? :lol:
Hell, thats what I would do. If you leave a hunting mag and some shells on the seat, they might think twice before whacking out your window to get your subs. And don't have a flashy car in a bad neighborhood.
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

I dont live in a bad neighborhood just trying to slow the basterds down when I go to the city :twisted: I live in a small, small, small town
mr1in6billion - And don't have a flashy car in a bad neighborhood.
well I guess I'll go buy a pinto :) oh wait they steal those too. It's not about flashy cars, it's about how easy it is.

Thanks for the help Reaper, I do have a proximity sensor setup but it does not detect anything until your hand has gone threw a window or sunroof. I'm guessing thats because of where I mounted my sensor, I have adjusted and tested several times.

Anyone else with some suggestion? Asides from a gun or chaining my rottie to my car :D
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

To keep the sub and sub box in the car, use torx screws directly through the inside of the box into the sheet metal .... then again to secure the sub and amp to the box. Though some jackholes might try prying it away and doing more harm to the car than if you left it loose for easy theft.

Also, if they are stealing the car by push-starting, use the car alarm's output on the fuel pump instead of the starter. The car will start initially then stall right away, making them think the car is broken and they'll ditch it and run.

You have to make sure the relay on the alarm is set properly though. You can set it so that if power is cut or an alarm malfunction it will default to either the on or off position. Make sure it's defaulted to off so if they cut the alarm power, they would have to search the entire car to find the relay if they wanted to start it.

Also, on top of a siren under the hood, hide a piezo siren INSIDE the car so it would be painfully loud for them to get in the driver's seat and try to find the alarm. They'll go deaf first. You'd also want a small alarm battery backup hidden in the car so that if they cut the main power, the alarm will still see power and still sound the siren.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

As far as breaking into your car, 2-way alarm. And you should leave some snakes in the car, like that movie Snakes On A Plane :twisted: . If you want to prevent your car from getting stolen, do it Jersey style: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIRE-LOC ... dZViewItem

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

im2bad4ya - didn't think about that but I see a problem with that model, they would just bring a spare :lol:

lakersfan1 - thanks for the torx bits idea I always forget about those.The relay is set the right way and my siren's have a battery backup.I used to do the fuel cut off swith, I might do it again.
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

well what i'm doing is a whole lot of permanent metal work...

i'm making an L bracket for each side of the sub box (front back side side). They're about 3/8ths inch. I'm gonna chisel out a strip of the box so i can inset the metal into it before i carpet the box. I'll screw it to the box, then weld over the screws and grind it down so its one peice of metal.

I will tack down the bolts that bolt the brackets to the car so i can simply grind them down if i want them out, but nobody else can get at them. For the subwoofersthemselvs, i'm gonan run two tastfull metal straps around them and screw them to the box (weld the screws, grind away). Same for the amp.

For the deck, i'm simply going to take a peice of 14guage steel make a peice of metal that is the exact size of the outter bracket of the deck, then i will have to metal bars that extend on the driver side, and passgenger side, and bolt behind the dash.

Yeah, i've thought this out fairly well.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

c'mon Bronco, bringing a spare seams far fetched. If the car is that nice, then i would DEFINITLEY get a garage for the car. Also, I counter the spare with getting wheel locks.

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

thing is, if they get into your car, and cant get the woofer, there just gonna put a screwdriver through it or something, ya gotta keep em out. shave your handles and get a electronic door locks with poppers and a safety switch under the car somewhere.

PWND

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Bucking Bronco wrote:I dont live in a bad neighborhood just trying to slow the basterds down when I go to the city :twisted: I live in a small, small, small town
mr1in6billion - And don't have a flashy car in a bad neighborhood.
well I guess I'll go buy a pinto :) oh wait they steal those too. It's not about flashy cars, it's about how easy it is.
What I meant by not flashy is inconspicuous. Something like a minivan, a truck, or more likely a sedan. Something like an old infinity or a 90's protege. That way wherever your park there will always be a car that is either worth more or is easier to steal.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

it may end up costing a bit but you can get security window tint it's a comericial grade tint if you try to break the window it won't shatter it'll just stay broken but in tact good idea for the rear hatch but like i said it's costly. the problem with your prox sensor if you have tinted windows the metal that is used in creating the tint will inhibit the prox sensors field from travelling through it so that would limit the distance of the sensor

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

our cars can be stolen in less than 10 minutes.. how do i know? i stole mine (on purpose) get a good alarm. even IF LOCKED and they dont have the keys . they dont have to open the hood or even make a sound and zoom zoom zoom with yer mx3..im glad no one eklse has found out how i did it.. i was posting it but im glad it got erased because u guys are right.. any pshyco would google it and find it. WELD your door handles trough the back.. al you need is 2 weld dots.. get an alarm/ Get a kill switch.. im no hlp in stereo department becase i remvoed my system.. tis worthless when it comes to drags.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”