MegaTech H4 HID Kit Install - Problem

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
V6 Power

MegaTech H4 HID Kit Install - Problem

Post by V6 Power »

Hello all, Please can anybody help with this problem? I just purchased an H4 HID Kit for my mazda v6 model 1993 if this helps, with as fellow owners will know only contains one bulb per headlight. I installed the kit successfully and it worked first time, wey hey! though there are 2 problems, Firstly, the full beam indicator light (Bright Blue One located under the rev counter on uk models is permanantly on???I must include-the model H4 kit I bought do not contain the full beam application option on dipped, but they are so bright I can live with out, and secondly does anybody know a way off making the sidelights front and back (Sidelights within the front bumper) come on without activating the main headlights, as now when i switch the control stick to side lights it switches on the headlights!, iHas anybody else had this issue before or have any ideas of how i can sort these 2 issues out! Thank You. :cry:
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You'd need to tell us EXACTLY what you did with the wires that went to the original headlight. It sounds like you must have joined them all together (instead of just the low beam) so your feeding back power to the markers / high beam indicator as soon as you turn it on. I'm assuming when you turn the side lights on the high beam indicator comes on too? Its just a simple wiring error that can be fixed pretty easy.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
V6 Power

HID Wiring Error

Post by V6 Power »

Hello Grants, appreciate the support. Here are the details of the install.

2 Ballasts each one with its own positive and negative. Each ballast had a male connector plug with 3 pins on it whcih plugged into the original headlight female connector plug. On the ballast too were 3 further cables. 2 of which plugged into the HID bulb, they were simple single connector plugs, no pins. Third connector cable was a black and red one, but this was incorperated onto a single plug(very very thin black and red wire) and this connected via one plug from the ballast to the HID bulb. The end result was not cutting of wires on the car or the kit. Unfortunatly the kit came with no instructions! Yes you are right, when i switch onto side lights the main lights come on and the full beam marker is on too. Its so strange, i am tempted to remove the fuse? Thanks
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'd say you need to cut the RED / WHITE wire that comes from the OEM wiring into the ballast at BOTH headlights. That should stop powering up the high beam indicator.

Try that and see if it works and let us know. Don't know if that will fix the headlights coming on with the side markers but we'll see.

** You may find that the headlights will go off if you select high beam. If you want to fix that you'll need to install a relay at one headlight. Let me know what you want to do.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Taras

Post by Taras »

You just need to switch the connectors in that H4 plug that came with the kit. Test them with a tester and see which one is which. You also may think of building a decicated wiring harness. HID ballasts draw about 16 amps at start-up, which is way too much for your stock 20awg wiring. You may experience blown fuses, melted wires or worse of all - a fire.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
V6 Power

HID Problem

Post by V6 Power »

Hello, and thanks again for both of your support. I shall try the idea of switching the connectors over-do you mean literally pulling one cable out of the plug and swapping over with the cable on the other side? just want to confirm before causing any damage. If that fails i shall try the cutting of the wire idea red/white- as for the risk of fire, thanks for the warning, would you advise replacing thhe oem cabling with higher rating? if it helps the hid kit contains 2 fuses on the power lead. This probably has no effect does it on the original wiring. Ill let you know how it goes with the high beam low beam wiring, I do not have a tester so will have to take a guess i think, or is this a bad idea?

Thank guys :P
Taras

Post by Taras »

You definitely need a tester. Otherwise, you are shooting in the dark. Here is the link to the wiring harness build-up:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html

Please read the page and you will get a lot of useful information.
Good luck to you.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
V6 Power

New problem

Post by V6 Power »

Hello, Thanks Taras again for your advice, but on the weekend before i even got a chance to try out your idea i discovered a new problem, because I have not been driving the car at night recently since the install i did not notice till now but , when the HID lights are on and i put the car into reverse, one HID ballast switches off, thus light going out! only way then to switch back on is to switch ignition off, or pull the fuse and put back in. I checked all fuses and none are blown. I cant work it out, think perhaps there are too many lights on e.g when reverse switches on that the car cant cope? :x
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Do all these problems go away if you put your halogen bulbs back? If they go away then there is something wrong with your HID kit wiring. If your car does not have relays for the headlights - then this might be a good time to add one. It might take care of the bad HID kit design by isolating it from other systems.

If your problems do not go away even after the oem halogens then there's something major going on - you need to have your wiring checked out before it catches on fire.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Gee, i saw those conversion kits, let alone the price for one.. Just buy some 8, or 9 K XENON~KRYPTON bulbs! There about as bright and give you the look that we all like*
V6 Power

Sorted, no more full beam light, thanks all!much appreciated

Post by V6 Power »

Hi, Took your advice an investigated the wiring, as you rightly said there was an arror in the HID wiring, (not my error) I purchased these as second user product, and it appears they wired the full beam wire to the dipped beam wire? why, i have no idea! so I removed the full beam pin on the connector and voila, no more full beam light on the dash. Only problem now is that everytime switch my control stick to go to side lights it activates the dipped beam, which is rightky so because on halogens when you switch to side lights it activates the bumper side lights and the main head lights on a very low current. If anyone knows how or where I can alter something in order for the side lights on the bumper and rear lights to switch on without the HID ones switching on, thus lowering the life of the bulbs. Thanks all! :lol:
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

If its anything like the daytime running lights here - then look for a metal contraption behind the strut mount on the firewall close to the battery area. In my car - that contraption is a resistor and supplies the bulbs (high beam) with reduced current. If you have such a contraption - just unplug it and see if that solves your problem.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
monky20

Post by monky20 »

u wired it to your high beams...

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”