Blue smoke.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zuna_mx-3

Blue smoke.

Post by zuna_mx-3 »

What to say.... Bluish smoke on cold start.... Alot of it.... No smoke at all when the motor is warm... What could it be??? My first thought is valve seals.... It burns some oil also. The car has been burning oil for a longer time, but it wasn´t so much and smoking started a few days ago... I got a 1 year warranty on the engine so I think they should repair it on their cost, but I would still like to know how much money are we talking about....
The car has 163000 km and is 1.6 DOHC 1997.
Also, what are the chances of 1.6 DOHC to 1.8 DOHC BP swap.... I know the sohc to BP is easy....

C´mon guys, cheer me up.....
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

I have had that problem in the past also. It wasn't the rings or the valve stem seals, turns out when I had the oil changed in the car(would have done it myself if I had the time) the place put in almost 5 quarts of 5w-30. The oil had no where to go but through the valve stems, it would be a thick heavy smoke that would last for about 3 minutes. Once I drained it and put in 3.5 quarts of good 10w-30 the car stopped the smoking.
zuna_mx-3

Post by zuna_mx-3 »

Well... Now that you mentioned it.... I did make an oil change and went to 10W oil instead of previous 5W. Could this really be the problem.... I changed type of oil cause I thought it would lower my oil consumption which was about 1L/3000 km. Both oils were bought at a Mazda dealership salon....
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

yeah, blue smoke? OIL BURNIN...
Marts

Post by Marts »

I was having the same issue man it was smoky anyways we are doing the valve seals now. We didnt have the spring tool so we took the head off that didnt help still need the tool for the springs so body tells me. Engine is at a shop as we speak changing everything from the seals to the rings ill let you know on the weekend if all the smoke is gone from what everyone told me it is the valve seals i tried thicker oil but made it worst in terms of money with out paying my body (a box of beer) im looking at around 400 bucks cdn.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”