Harsh into second

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
JapesMooney

Harsh into second

Post by JapesMooney »

I'm noticing that I'm getting some harshness in my shift into second, [sometimes to the point of grinding if I rush the shift] and it's generally worse when it's first going. All other gears are fairly smooth. I replaced the tranny oil with MT 90 in the hope that would clear it up, but while it has improved it, it's still not great. I know what I think it might be, but I'd like to hear other peoples input. Suggestions for the next thing to try? Thanks for any suggestions.
JP
95 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl B6 DOHC
Boris

Post by Boris »

sounds like 2nd gear synchromesh to me.
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

The first thing id do would be check the shift rod and make sure that its not bumping into anything like the heat shield or anything else, but i think i agree with boris.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
torpedan

Re: Harsh into second

Post by torpedan »

JapesMooney wrote:I'm noticing that I'm getting some harshness in my shift into second, [sometimes to the point of grinding if I rush the shift] and it's generally worse when it's first going. All other gears are fairly smooth. I replaced the tranny oil with MT 90 in the hope that would clear it up, but while it has improved it, it's still not great. I know what I think it might be, but I'd like to hear other peoples input. Suggestions for the next thing to try? Thanks for any suggestions.
JP
There are a few things that can cause this, if your motor mounts are on thier way out they can produce a simliar affect as well though. I would suggest chanigng over to pennzoil's synchromesh. Its not cheap but it actually works fairly well and might cure your probelm.
Boris wrote:sounds like 2nd gear synchromesh to me.
Umm what?
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Boris

Post by Boris »

torpedan,

I dunno what you mean by your comment (umm what). What's wrong with assuming it's the 1st/2nd syncro?[/quote]
Boris

Post by Boris »

Japesmooney,

If you know how to double clutch, try doing that. If the grinding stops when you double clutch, then it's most probably the syncro. That's also a cheap way of getting rid of the grinding, if you decide you don't wanna pay for the repairs.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Boris wrote:torpedan,

I dunno what you mean by your comment (umm what). What's wrong with assuming it's the 1st/2nd syncro

Synchromesh is a product, its a lubricant. A synchro is a synchronizer, as in a gear. The sentace makes no sense.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Mine does that in the winter going into second when it's really cold. But once it is warmed up it is perfectly fine. I think it just needs better tranny fluid.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

DJ wrote:Mine does that in the winter going into second when it's really cold. But once it is warmed up it is perfectly fine. I think it just needs better tranny fluid.
same with my dads protege, its comon among mazdas with hight milage

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Boris

Post by Boris »

Torpedan,

Synchromesh is a product, its a lubricant. A synchro is a synchronizer, as in a gear. The sentace makes no sense.[/quote]

I know there's synchromesh lubricant but I'm pretty sure my sentence made sense... Our gearboxes are classified as synchromesh gearboxes, right? Meh who knows I might have screwed up, correct me if I'm wrong so that I don't keep using this term.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=synchromesh
Boris

Post by Boris »

sorry I don't know how to quote.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Boris wrote:sorry I don't know how to quote.

Upper right hand corner of the post there is a little link that says quote. just hit it and it will do it for you.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”