What's this intake piece?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Pharmacyst

What's this intake piece?

Post by Pharmacyst »

Been looking at some diy intakes and I like this one: Image

On the page it says it's the factory duct plugged into the intake. This "factory duct" doesn't look anything like mine or other ones I've seen. Anyone have any clues? http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5335/rsa2page.htm
-92 Blaze Red Mx3 GS
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Thats because that a "factory air duct" from a Probe or MX-6....the MX-3 uses a completely different style.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Pharmacyst

Post by Pharmacyst »

lol man I feel dumb now.
-92 Blaze Red Mx3 GS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I wouldn't have known that either...

Good looking short ram intake though 8)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

If intakes is your query, try a search using CAI as a keyword. There's a multitude of variations of set-ups (pics) of cold air intakes available. The attached config looks a little contradictive. Inserting a cone filter mid stream of ducting that's designed to draw in cold air from under the front lip of the hood is counter productive. Cool air from the leading ducting will be mixed with very hot air drawn in from the engine bay from the cone filter. Best recommendation for first timers would be to simply insert a K & N re-usable replacement filter in the oem airbox.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've never been a fan of short ram anyway for that reason. Also, if the cone filter is not supported in some way (along the new tube) it is likely that it will vibrate loose and fall off while you are driving. Just happened to a buddy during a Auto-X this past Sunday. Luckily for him he coasted to the finish and we got a screw driver and put it back on. However, the nigh before the Auto-X it happened and he lost his expensive K&N. It fell off and he ran it over. He had to find a cone filter at 11:30pm so that he could compete in the Auto-X the next day.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Dom

Post by Dom »

the KnN filter is good, but a good cai is better...having a proper cai will net improvements....i made mine out of a prelude intake and it works fine, not sayin that its better than a KnN tho.....if u can find a way to keep it gaurded from the elements and cold than ur set

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”