V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Odd rubbing issue...

Post by Custommx3 »

Heres the skinny...

I have a rubbing sound under the following conditions
(new tires, Stock wheels, new KYB struts, jamex springs)
(I didnt have rubbing until I swapped struts, but then again, I put new wheels/tires on it the same day)

If Im driving, and hit a bump it sometimes make a rubbing sound almost as if my tire rubs my fender. It feels as if I am driving on a crappy road that was full of potholes that were filled. When turning left, I sometimes feel it. This morning, I had my brother in the car and the weight seemed to make it more frequent. Just as a test I put the car in neutral, and it didnt do it at all. I also disengaged the clutch by pressing the pedal, and it too didnt cause the sound.

I seem to think its either tranny or axle rub, but Id think it still will turn even in neutral.

Any ideas?
Dom

Post by Dom »

are ur tires rubbing ur struts??
precidian

Post by precidian »

I think you have the same issue that I did.....

It turned out to be the wheel well liner rubbing against the lower spring perch of the strut. Take a look at the pearch and see fi there is any wear on the edge/ underside of the pearch on the side closest to the wheel.

The solution to my prblem was to trim back the liner a bit .. and I have not had that noise since.

Good luck.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

That sthe thing, I cant seem to find any markings that show whats rubbing, I may get under the car again tonight and check again..
precidian

Post by precidian »

when I first looked at mine there were no rub marks at all... but it wasn't until a month later when I was with someone else iin the car that I notice the sound and saw the rubbing. Previously I though it was a wheel rubbing against the wheel well liner and never found any rub makrs at all.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Chris and I jsut lowered his car. It drove fine before, but after the struts and springs it started making a slight sound (kinda like a constant bump) but only when turning left and only when the gas was applied. We thought the same thing a took it apart twice looking for rubbed parts, but found none.

It turned out to be a axle going out. Seems the lowering and stiffer ride made the axle more noticable.

Free axle (lifetime warranty) and an hour later it was fine. He Auto-Xed this weekend and said it felt smooth as butter under the load.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Look how close this tire is....

I cant even fit my finger in that gap its so close... hrm.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I like Pat's idea that the install of the new struts and springs excacerbated a yet undetected axle isssue. Alignment was my second thought with respect to offsets and possible negative camber. Negative camber which is usually a result of installing new lowering springs and struts, although you made no mention of lowering. Negative camber will give incredible handling and grip and is difficult to detect unless radical toe-in/out issues are also present. WAG, was possibly the bump stops but that's way out there.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, a bad toe issue will cause a bumping kind of sound as the tire skips across the road (one tire is pulling the other straight). I know the Jamex springs are pretty low, Perry has some, and that will cause some toe and camber. however, it shouldn't be enough to make one tire skip. I'd say get an alignment first, you need one from lowering anyway. Then if it is still present trade the passanger axle for a new one.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Thats the thing...

I had the car aligned when I lowered the car, it doesnt pull at all and I have no wear as you can see on my tires.

Id have thought it would raise the car being as the OEM struts were on the car before I changed them and were worn out.

I can see it being axle, but the car physically hasnt changed height at all.
It was lowered when I 1st got the car. Ive driven it since last december when I did the KLZE swap (the KF swap.. well I wont go there ;( ).

I put the OEM wheels on it with new stock size tires when I did the HEI mod ( I stated earlier I put the new wheels on when I did the struts, but I was mistaken) . The wheels/tires were balanced and put on, and Ive been driving them for about a month.

2 weeks ago I changed the struts, bellows, bearings, bump stops, and mounts. All at once. I was very suprised the ride height did not change either.

As far as the axles, they have just over 3000 miles on them....
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Berry you broke it! :lol:
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

LOL, I know, thats why Im looking for possible solutions :)
92GS_STL_MO

Post by 92GS_STL_MO »

I have a very simmilar problem, first I have almost completly replaced the suspesion, tokico blues front and back, Eibach springs frontand back, new stut mounts front and rear, new MS ctrl arm bushings, new motor mounts all around, front and rear strut tower braces, new ball joints, I am running on the factory rims and 205/55/R15s, the car had an alignment the day I got the new tires after the fresh suspension. I was curious where your "rubbing" noise is coming from? Mine, is coming from the passenger side rear of the car, and only when I hit a bump, or pothole. I was told I have a bad strut, but there has been no change in the way the car handles, and I give it about 6 miles of gravel roads a day (live in the country, so no nice paint or rims for me :cry: ). I was curious if the rear trailing arms may have anything to do with this?
it seems like it occurs only when the strut is recovering from the bump or dip/pothole. any sugesstions?
John

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”