Car Won't Start

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Pharmacyst

Car Won't Start

Post by Pharmacyst »

Hey this one is a little screwy. I drive the car to work fine and to mcdonalds on lunch break. When I tried to go start it up 20 minutes later it wouldn't start. I tried a bunch of times and looked around but then I said "screw it i'll try it one last time" and it started lol. Drove to work and knew I shouldn't have shut it off but I had to. When I tried to start the car it died again for good.

When i'm in the car I can't turn on my parking lights or hazards. The only lights that do come are brake and seatbelt when its parked. When i'm in the car and it's parked the radio faded in and out but now is dead. When the car is in neutral nothing works. The brake and seatbelt light turn off and the radio dies. The car clock reset. When I try to start the car everything dies, the brake and seatbelt light turn off. When I press the brakes a second later the brake and seatbelt light turn back on

When the car was running it started up perfect on the first time till just this once today. I figured it was probably the connection to the battery. I went to the junkyard and found an Mx-3 that was manual. The top battery cable that goes to the terminal was the same. It was I think yellow and black and came off the firewall. The second battery cable I don't know where it goes too. It seems to come from the fuse box or something near the right headlight. That connection is not the same in my car. On my car there is the big cable and the little cable from the fuse box going to the right nut on the terminal clamp somehow. On the Mx-3 in the yard the big cable and little cable were clamped in the middle of the terminal like the yellow and black one.

I followed the little wire back to under the fuse box thing near the right headlight. That was the same in my car and the parts mx-3. The big wire I couldn't follow well. In the parts mx-3 the big cable seemed to go straight back behind the engine. In my car it kind of goes forward and dissapears.
I cut out the little and big wires and terminal from the parts car and the yellow and black one. Can you just take the terminal off my car and cut the little and big wire and splice them onto the parts car little and big wire and screw the new terminal to the battery?

Any suggestions? I'm clueless right now and trying to avoid the towing and mechanic fees.
-92 Blaze Red Mx3 GS
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Have you tried boosting it or a push start? I'd start were you did @ the battery and check your voltage, then your battery connections. Corrosion on your terminals is bad and so is a dirty battery.
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Pharmacyst

Post by Pharmacyst »

It started raining so I headed back to the car to put plastic bags up (damn you power windows) but when I got there it stopped so I checked it out again. I cut the weird plastic cupler off the cables and found out the wire going to the fuse box thing was cut before and now was in 2 seperate pieces. Explains it all lol. I cut both cable wires below the weird stuff and just put them on the new terminal and she started up perfect.
-92 Blaze Red Mx3 GS
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Its funny what you find when you look!! =)
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

geesh that sounds like a fire waiting to start. good think you found it.

Bochek

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”