pistons?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
projectmx316

pistons?

Post by projectmx316 »

hey all i was wounderin if anyone knows of a place that sells a performance piston with rings or not for a resonable price that won't break my wallet. I have a 1.6 dohc in a 94 and no im not going to turbo it so i would like a decent piston and rings to help the power out. If anyone could help i would appreciate it thanks alot.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

not going ot find anything for less than 400 bucks. if your going to replace them, you might as well get nice forged ones that you will never have to worry about, even if you turbo or nitro later. cause if you get crappy ones now, then try to turbo later, thats 2 times you have had to bore out your block...
Cy

Post by Cy »

^^^ that didn't answer the question....

Wiseco makes pistons for the 1.6 and 1.8L I-4 motors..
Aswell as the KL series..

I believe the 1.6L pistons you can get in a slightly longer stroke and they are within factory spec for overbore..

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A REPUTIBLE ENGINE SHOP TO BORE AND HONE THE BLOCK...

nothing worse then scratched walls....
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

why do people want to make power and not spend any money i don't get it
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

i didnt say i wasnt goin to spend the mony just lookin for good pistons. And whats wrong with doin a budjet build up i dont see anythin wrong with it i was just askin if anyone knows of any deals or not thats all.
Cy

Post by Cy »

projectmx316 wrote:i didnt say i wasnt goin to spend the mony just lookin for good pistons. And whats wrong with doin a budjet build up i dont see anythin wrong with it i was just askin if anyone knows of any deals or not thats all.
when you cut corners $ wise on KEY components that need to operate at VERY specific temperatures and expand at very predictable rates...
$ matters...

$ = quality materials, quality machining, quality control....in something like an engine.. you don't cut corners...

there's a reason the Sobey's brand 10w-30 shelf is always full...
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Thats what i meant ($ = quality materials, quality machining, quality control) Cy said it all i work at a prefromance shop where the guys that complain about to much $. Go the cheap way and end up back beacause they let someone do it(what ever it is that they wanted done) for cheap. WIth there car all jack up. Had they done it the right way and spend the $ they wouldn't be getting it done a 2nd tiime & replacing extra parts that got damage.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Boris

Post by Boris »

project mx316,

I dunno where chino hills is, but if CA means you live in california, you might be in luck. From what I hear, wiseco makes really good pistons. I live in Ontario, where there is a Wiseco Distribution warehouse, and I know that buying straight from the warehouse in Ontario has saved my buddies a lot of $, as opposed to buying wiseco pistons from a shop. There's a distribution warehouse in California too. Here's the address and stuff if you're interested:

15500 W. Telegraph Rd. #C-26 • Santa Paula, CA 93060

Hopefully this saves you some money.
Cy

Post by Cy »

projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

thanks boris and cy i will ook into that and see what i come up with. i also wanted to know if there is any good benifit from porting and polishing the head and intake mani. And also port matching them or if its just a wast of time. thanks
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Hi projectmx316, porting and polishing the head doesnt provide that much gains on a NA MX3 1600 engine but if you are going to be turbocharging at some point then it will definitely make a difference in performance.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”