Mud and dirt in dog leg will cause rust

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
bluemx3

Mud and dirt in dog leg will cause rust

Post by bluemx3 »

I'm sure this post would benefit all MX3s, but I do have the V6, so I posted it here. I've owned my MX3 for about 6 months and have taken great care of it since I bought it. Unfortunately, today I was opening the hood and with the door open I noticed some leaves inside the dog leg of the front fender.
I got a long screw driver and removed about a pound of dirt,mud and leaves from the bottom of the dog legs on both sides of the car. I then got a garden hose and power sprayed the inside of the fenders till all the mud etc. was removed and it drained normally. I know if I didn't find this, it would have been only a matter of time before the rust started from the inside. I'm just suggesting that if you haven't already, check and clean all the garbage from the inside of the fenders dog leg and make sure it drains as regular cleaning.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

you refer to a "dog leg"

what is this?

Bochek
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

The dogleg is the part of the front fender that's behind the wheel closest to the door, I may be incorrect with the term, but if you open the door and look at the backside of the fender closest to the door is the area that I'm talking about. It just seems to collect, mud, dirt and clogs the drain area of the fender.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

YEa i cant seem to keep that clean...alwasy has soem wet leaves in there

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A good reminder post. Good looking out.

That crap builds up in there pretty fast so we could all use to take a quick look even if we have cleaned it out before. I wich Mazda had taken a bit of extra time and developed a cowl that would block that hole. I've not seen too many cars that have that pocket, but it is one of only a few gripes I have about the MX-3s design. (other than switches and seat-belts)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

bodyshops usually call part just behind rear door a dog leg. Anyways I make sure to wash wheel wells real good when I wash my car
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

yah i had a bunch of leaves in mine when i first got it sprayed it clean i hope for the most part and sprayed a bunch of rust protection in there haah
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is 6am here and I just cannot sleep for some reason...

Anyway, I just thought of a funny story. The first time I noticed the "dog leg" I found a ton of dirt and a pine tree sapling growing in the drivers side. I should have pulled it out and replanted it.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
den

Post by den »

Hehe when I bought my car it had like 2pounds of dirt on each side. I never really saw till I brought it in for a rust proof. They suggested to clean it and just brick it back and they'll spray it again for free.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
matrice

Post by matrice »

just cleaned mine out today, lots of nice mud and leaves, I also had a little maple tree starting too.
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

been doing my car recently and i know you guy's won't believe it but i take top prize. Among the crap that had collected on my drivers side i found a snail shell lol. looked like it been there a long time :lol:
mx-3north

Post by mx-3north »

When i got mine 2 years ago it had a ton of mud and leaves in both sides. It took quite a lot of work to clean it all out. I've done it 3 times now and each time it's full
92 mx-3 gs auto 1.8lt
nokian wr tires

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”