ITB's

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bochek

ITB's

Post by Bochek »

Has anyone tried to do ITB's On a 1.6L?

I love the look of itb's but i have a few questions.

Do you use the stock MAF?

Also, what kind of power gains would be expected?

Bochek
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: ITB's

Post by Josh »

Bochek wrote:Has anyone tried to do ITB's On a 1.6L?

I love the look of itb's but i have a few questions.

Do you use the stock MAF?

Also, what kind of power gains would be expected?

Bochek
well Toda used to sell a set for the Miata 1.6, but you can make your own really easy with the help form some of the modern Sport bikes. like a GSXR or Honda RR, NINJA. the only way you could utilize the Maf is if you made a plenum for them. then it would restrict them down a bit. the best way is still going to be with a stand alone. gains, they can be as much as 20 WHP if tuned properly with the proper setup. they are a must have on an all out N/A build
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

well you could do away with the maf if you went to a map sensor no?

Do they make MAP/MAF adapters? like a circuit board that mimics the signal of a MAF and gets its signal from a MAP?

BUT using a MAF and a plenum means we can use a CAI and that might gain more power then sucking in warm engine compartment air.

I know TB's off a bike are the obvious sollution. but

1) what size tb would be the best? 50mm?

2)also, what cars have that small of a tb? i figgure i could get them from a car from the junkyard.

what im planing, in order leading away from the motor.

INJECTOR
VACUME LINE
TB
PLENUM
MAF
CAI

Make sence?

Bochek
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Bochek wrote:well you could do away with the maf if you went to a map sensor no?

Do they make MAP/MAF adapters? like a circuit board that mimics the signal of a MAF and gets its signal from a MAP?

BUT using a MAF and a plenum means we can use a CAI and that might gain more power then sucking in warm engine compartment air.

I know TB's off a bike are the obvious sollution. but

1) what size tb would be the best? 50mm?

2)also, what cars have that small of a tb? i figgure i could get them from a car from the junkyard.

what im planing, in order leading away from the motor.

INJECTOR
VACUME LINE
TB
PLENUM
MAF
CAI

Make sence?

Bochek
well think about this. your stock TB is like 55mm a BP runs a 60mm, well my bike Kawi ZX10R i think it runs 42mm TB's so i think it will be plenty good for a 1.6L that is only using one 55mm TB. :)

yes Corksport sells a MAF to MAP setup, i think it was like 600 bucks. but i heard its well worth it. its almost as goos as a stand alone. running a Map is the only alternative.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

well if i go to a full stand alown ecu, like a mega squirt n spark or a hailtech then i can just use a map sensor off a honduh no?

i guess id need a tps of another car too because the 1.6l tps only has 3 positions, (idle, go, and go fast(or slow in the case of the 1.6l ))

How much does a MSnS cost?

Bochek
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Megasquirt have a mapsensor built-in.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

nope-mx3 wrote:Megasquirt have a mapsensor built-in.

nope-mx3
I just realized that after i made that post. lol.

So the map sensor just hooks up the intake tubes, between the tb and the engine right?

T them all together and run it to the MSnS?

Bochek
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

it`s a "plastic" tube that gets connectet to the intake manifold and to the Megasquirt.

on the V6 I even think there is a nipple to connect it too.
on the 1.6 I`m not sure.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

but with ITB's there is no manifold, well there is actually 4, not connected together, so basically do i just hook it up where a vacume line would normally go?

Bochek
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

With ITBs you have to do several things if you want to get any power out if the engine. First the stock "low port" heads can't support the additional volume of air the ITB are capable flowing. The will mean getting over sized valves and the head work to get the head to flow the number needed. Next you will need a pretty agressive cam with that you will need stiffer valve springs due the short length of the ITB and grind of the cam will push the rpms the engine needs to make peak torque and HP. Engine running ITB need to have the compression increased. Usually we are looking at a min of 10.5:1 and come go as high as 12:1. Without these mechanical mods just bolting on a set if ITB to a stock engine will probably show a net loss due to the short length of the ITB will push the peak torque number in a much higher RPM, maybe as much as 2000rpm This will also move the peak HP up by 2000rpm. The stock max power output rpm is a function of the air flow through the head and mechanically limited to the grind of the cam. This would mean that you peak HP rpm is now higher that the stock cams can make power. Shortening the intake runner length will make the torque very peaky weighted toward the top end. You will need to rev the engine a lot higher just to get the car moving. The other down side of this is accelleration the lack of bottom and mid range torque will make your car a lot slower until you can get the rpms up especially in street driving and leaving a stop which is why the engine needs to be built to pull the torque numbers back down into a usuable rpm range. Back in the early 90's Mazda's off the shelf ITB kit included cams, injector, pistons and valvetrain hardware as part of the kit. Even then it only brought the engine up to around 200hp and to drive it on the street usually require driving the car one gear lower to keep the revs up where the engine would make some torque to be able to accellerate the car.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

well that seams to be what everyone is saying, but ive never listened to anyone, gotta try it yourself right.

im runing a STOCK b6 and im deffently trying this, only with a MAF and smaller Tb's

I am going to make the tb's my self in the machine shop @ school. i was thinking going 30mm each Kepp the flow rate up and not be too restrictive.

Gotta do some thinking about this one.

Bochek
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Oh and i was also thinking of making the intake tubes a bit longer, like 12" perhaps. il have to do some thinking about where to run them to to get them in the best location.

Bochek
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i think that will help by making the runners longer, and TB'S smaller.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Josh wrote:i think that will help by making the runners longer, and TB'S smaller.
Thats what im hopeing for.

Bochek
alex3ohio

Post by alex3ohio »

Post pics when you're done cause I'd really love to see that. ITB's are badass

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”