is it worth it

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
lowflyinmx3

is it worth it

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

i have a 94 rs 5 speed. other that the standard cold air intake and coffee can muffler i haven't really done much to it. i'm not rich on money (the wife and kid takes it all) but i was wanting to tinker with the motor some and just give it some more pep. i was thinkin something along the lines of replacing the cat with a test pipe, installing bigger injectors from a miata or some other ride, and a underdrive pulley. i'm not expecting massive torque and horsepower like you see on the fast and the furious, i just want to make the guy in the honduh next to me think twice when we pull up to that second stop light. tell me what you guys think and any more power sugestions would be appreciated.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

:lol: My advice would be to stay away from stop lights!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

u can use bp injecters from a protege 220cc vs stock an underdrive pulley u can find them on e-bay aftermarket cams from a 1.6 maita stuff like that. serch around here e-bay racingmazda.com etc...
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

It'd give you a little bump in horses but nothing you would really get your money's worth. Unless you get good deals.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Dude. Just because they drive a Honda doesn't mean they are gonna be slow. I have a buddy boostin at 10 psi with a B18 with work done to it and an LS tranny. Thing is a sleeper until you hear the t3/t4 spool. He keeps his RPMs low while driving so you won't really notice the power he has. Plus he recirculates the blow off. Can't see his intercooler. Plus I know some NA guys and from what I hear Honda engines, mainly their B series, are set up for high compression. We have a mere 9:1 while they have I believe somewhere near 10:1 on 1.8s. Maybe go after the DX guys, just hope they don't have the crappy 1.5 liter swapped.

For more power its gonna take more than bolt ons, most you can gain with bolt ons are slim bits of horses. Sometimes a bolt on means sacrificing low end for top end.

Yup I wanna have a good battle so I am gonna sell my 240sx and look for a BP, tranny, accesories, axles, ECU, and wiring harness from a early 90's protege thanks to this site for all the good advice :werd: lol. This way later on save up for GTR rods, intake cam, and manifold and turbo it is ;). Pick and pull the engine from a boneyard with all for around $800 here for like 90,000 miles on the stuff.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

i never said hondas were slow, i just meant i want to hold my own against them. out of all my buddies i'm the only one without a honda so i know all about them. i just don't want one cuz every else wants them. i can't afford to be down to do a motorswap for more than 9 hours at a time so thats not an option right now. i just want little upgrades that just keep me active wit my cars, and maybe learn something new in the process.
Carmaster2005

Post by Carmaster2005 »

My suggestion is, to go with the meita cams. You can get good gains without putting to much money into it. Plus you wont have to dig deep into the motor to change them out, as its pretty easy to swap your stock cams out. Or just save your money and do the oh so common engine swap. Nitrous is always a good choice for Low cost High gain results.
Drive Fast,Hit the nitrous,Enjoy the ride :)
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

LOL wow I am so against NOS, also on a STOCK BLOCK lmao. IDK man its a bit crazy but anyways I think you should save up man. Doing a little bit at a time is a waste and if you have a slight change in plans, It is just going to be more of a pain and a waste. I say save up and go bigger. You don't even have to do an engine swap either. You can get pistons and rods and miata cams and go with a 323 turbo manifold and boost it ;).

I hate to say it to but look around for a person who does custom welding, you might be better of if you get to know someone personaly and get some major performance upgrades custom made like exhausts, headers, and also pretty sweet intake manifolds.

By the way if you see this LimeGreen Mx3, your car rocks.
Last edited by MechaManZero on April 6th, 2006, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

the stock engine should be able to handle 30 up to 55 HP shots of Nitrous, besides a 30 shot will last you a long time out of a 10 lbs bottle.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

all these upgrades to the exsisting motor is just gonna = more $ spend on gas

save up put a BP in - more horse a lot more peppier. And u get great gas mileage (if done right) sitting at about 25-30mpg city driving.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

MechaManZero wrote:LOL wow I am so against NOS, also on a STOCK BLOCK lmao. IDK man its a bit crazy but anyways I think you should save up man. Doing a little bit at a time is a waste and if you have a slight change in plans, It is just going to be more of a pain and a waste. I say save up and go bigger. You don't even have to do an engine swap either. You can get pistons and rods and miata cams and go with a 323 turbo manifold and boost it ;).

I hate to say it to but look around for a person who does custom welding, you might be better of if you get to know someone personaly and get some major performance upgrades custom made like exhausts, headers, and also pretty sweet intake manifolds.

By the way if you see this LimeGreen Mx3, your car rocks.

Thanks MechaManZero guess u like what i've done to the mx-3 but to let u guys know am not limegreen anymore. but i still go and know me by Limegreen MX-3. sweet nice to know somebody like what am doing
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”