got a crazy idea!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

got a crazy idea!!

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

ok so i searched for quite a while and i couldnt find this asked anywhere else. so i was wondering if anybody had ever thought about individual throttle bodys on a ze. i was thinkin about it bc i thought it would be pretty sweet for autox, something i would love to get into.if anybody has ever seen it on our engines or even seen anything that would work im pretty interested.
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Only engine I have ever seen seperate TB's per cylinder was a 20valve toyota 4 banger.. sweet little engine.. a friend of mine just stuffed it into his MR2. Dunno if this helps at all.. but at least it shows that it has been done :D

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I was lookin a super street the other day, and i saw ITB's for the BP and i was blown away...but nothin for the ZE. You guys seen any? For an engine like babyblues or anyother build ze's it woudl be a pretty dope asset. Then you can stuff it with direct port nitrouse...MMMM
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

yea ive seen quite a few cars with em.and i would love to have that tourqy response but the only thing ive seen so far is universal ones but in not to sure how good they would work http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_inf ... cts_id=432 i also saw one place that said you shouldnt have them unless you have a highly modifed engines...buuuut my friend has a jetta and he was lookin at itbs and the ppl he was talkin to had em and had nothin else done to their motor, and it was runnin fine
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Vanished wrote:I was lookin a super street the other day, and i saw ITB's for the BP and i was blown away...but nothin for the ZE. You guys seen any? For an engine like babyblues or anyother build ze's it woudl be a pretty dope asset. Then you can stuff it with direct port nitrouse...MMMM
ITB for the B and F series engine have been availble around for over 15 years. Before that there were guys with the old E5 SOHC running 180-200hp with 4 side draft carbs. Back in the early 90's there were 2 guys in Quebec running BP powered 323's with 4 Kleine Carbs. Even Mazda offered a ITB kit for the BP-DE back in the early-mid 90's. The real problem with ITB is engine compression or lack of it in a production. To maximize performance you need 12.1 to 13.1 compression to get any power from ITB.

I remember when I was living in europe back in the mid 90's seening a magazine article about one of the Mazda tuning shops in France working on a ITB kit in a 323F-GT (KF-V6)
MX3newbie77
Supporting Member

Post by MX3newbie77 »

Here is how to make your own . . . http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/itb/

Its for a Honda, but very easily adaptable for any engine. The only problem I see with this on a ZE is space. Is is cramped enough with just the engine, but I would LOVE to see this done
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

your all just going to have to wait a little while before i post pics
and there is a s--- load of room

however testing has proven that the klze would need ram tubes of
18" to be effective

where as a sinlge plane mainafold has proven to produce the
better Hp and tourqe figure
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I had thought about it. Thing is, it's not that simple to do on a v6. here what it looked like on a turbo car with 2 plenums and ITB, looks sweet if you ask me but I wonder if it's worth it

RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:I had thought about it. Thing is, it's not that simple to do on a v6. here what it looked like on a turbo car with 2 plenums and ITB, looks sweet if you ask me but I wonder if it's worth it

wow that looks amazing!!...i was thinking though i know it would be really tough to put itbs on a turbo car but wouldnt it be alot easyr on a na car?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

same work involved, except a plenum (or 2) has to be built on top
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

while on topic of throttle bodies, can i use a DE throttle body only, take it off the DE manifold and install it on a K8 manifold and have it work fine ?

or use the entire DE manifold ?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”