finally she broke..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

finally she broke..

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

ok well my fears finally became a reality on sunday night. i was on my way back to my moms house in ocean city md, coming from virginia, and i got to the toll booth for the bay bridge, and well as always i love to fly outa the toll booths the only diff is i got new tires(my old ones were bald and dryroted). so i take off just burnin up 1st gear take her to 6500 smack 2nd mash the gas and all i hear is boom wapwapwapwapwapwap...imediatly i knew what had happend.so i coast over and get out to look at the damages and sure enough i snaped the passenger cv shaft clean in two just as i thought. so yea had to get towed all the rest of the way home(which was a pretty penny). so yea now shes in the shop gettin fixed.

so now im a lil scared. i was planin on takin my car to the strip this sunday and now im wondering if im gonna be left stranded at the track bc of the same problem after shes fixed. have any of you guys had your cv shafts break with the ze swap(the only things ive done to it is upgraded clutch and home made cai. so do ya think maybe need to maybe hold off on the track..tell me what ya think...thanks[/img]
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

many ppl have snapped them with a ZE swap. when u get it fixed i think ur ok to go to the drag strip just do not rev it up high and dump the clutch just ease into it slipping the clutch on take of so u dont put a sudden shock on them and snap them.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

The new axle should hold up for a while, unless your getting massive wheelhop then stop launching as hard while at the track.
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

yea see what suprised me was that this time i had zero wheel hop. and when i launch i dont go very high at all just bc of traction problems. like generally about 2500-2750. but yea im prolly gonna try and take it easy at the track and work my way up, and hopefully nothin will happen. :driver:
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I never launch my car and i never get wheel hop and i snapped an axle that was brand new in 1 shift.

I always just slip the clutch at 1000 RPMS and then open it up and when i slam 2nd i snapped it. Done it several times...and this is without the nitrous.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Do not buy a reman. axle, buy a brand new one and you will be fine.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

thats the thing, where i snap the axle it doesn't matter if it was a brand new one or a remanufactured one. Its a solid piece of steel, so how u explain that?
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
precidian

Post by precidian »

Usually if an item breaks, it tends to be at a weak point. This would indicate some sort of metal fatigue. Either due to stress, imperfection or other failure.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Slammed6 wrote:thats the thing, where i snap the axle it doesn't matter if it was a brand new one or a remanufactured one. Its a solid piece of steel, so how u explain that?
I dont know how to explain it but reman's are notorious for snapping like that. Whenever somebody snaps one it is usually a reman. unless it a 15 year old stock one.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've never heard of anyone snapping an OEM axle. You should see the difference in the OEM and a remann. ITwill scare you that you bought the remann. However, the problem is that Mazda does not have any more axles for the Mx-3 any more. So remann is probably your only choice unless you want to upgrade the axles for the high HP expensive units.

You should be fine if you use a good remanned axle and slip the clutch not dropping it. It is much better to wear the clutch by slipping overdropping it which will break the trans casing.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i'm running on 2 remmans from napa and havent had any problem beside the boots rip open, i can launch at high rpms adn spin tires, axles are pritty strong.

I know a few guys who went and got autozones axles said they've snapped a few ::shrugs::
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
yvan

Post by yvan »

booty,,booty.. autozone..napa..checkher, they'll all pertty much the same axle, just have their store name label on it. check the part # and compare. got raman axle form napa, n they clunk..but still holding ok, havn't really abuse her yet, can't go wrong with oem man
93' blue mx-3, klze curve neck, kl36ecu, all the upgrade possible/out turbo.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If it's clunking you should take it back as soon as you have a chance to do the swap again. My first reman was like that .... worse than the one I turned in even. But the second one I got works really well so far, and I've done road racing on it. But I usually don't do hard 1st gear launches. That's more a drag strip thing, which I don't do.
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

I know a few guys who went and got autozones axles said they've snapped a few ::shrugs::
yea i bought a axle from autozone and its held for a while, it was my oem axle that broke
I've never heard of anyone snapping an OEM axle. You should see the difference in the OEM and a remann. ITwill scare you that you bought the remann. However, the problem is that Mazda does not have any more axles for the Mx-3 any more. So remann is probably your only choice unless you want to upgrade the axles for the high HP expensive units
see thats what made me think my reman wasnt to bad i compaired them and they were pretty much the same width..and yea i really dont wanna buy high hp ones even though in the long run it would prolly be better. i was wondering though if anybody on here has had any experience with the upgrade axles from corksport? if so do ya like em?
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

I have been scared to run the 1/4 mile for the same exact reason but ....your dumping at 2000rpm? I know the Ze has torque especially since I have a straight neck but when I race at my circuit events which are on normal average street like lots, I dump at 4000. I do this by keeping it steady at 4 and then when I launch I make an effort to keep the throttle the same until it hooks and then I just aggressively but gradually work up to full throttle as quick as possible. It will take some practice but once you get it, It just consistantly accellerates and gives an awsome launch. I even notice the vris tend to kick in quicker apposed to dropping in the 2000 range. Kinda like when you are cruising in 4th and you drop it to 2nd...compared to cruising and then flooring it. I at least notice the different re-action by the vris.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”