Millenia Altenator (IG)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slimmyslim1420

Millenia Altenator (IG)

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I am planning on putting a millenia alt in my car. After reading the write ups on it, no one ever said the best possible place to hook up the IG wire. I know it has to be 12v switched, but I read someone hooked it up to the disty another guy said he hooked it up to the battery and the last one said he used the power window wire. In all cases someone responded with a possible downside to each. So which would be the best way to go with it. I can't use the power windows though since mine are manual.
thanks
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I just read a "how to" a friend of mine did one the local mx-3 forums.
he said to use the ignition so you have a 12v source just when you turn the key. Though he said he personnaly used the + on the battery and it works fine for him.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I myself am using my power window wire.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Have you asked Mazda what IG source is used on the Millennia? Key switch operated - heater, radio, cig lighter I believe, etc..
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I was just looking at the alt from my k8 and it is not oem. Therefore it dosen't have the tag on it telling which wire is S and which is L. So I checked my chiltons and it dosen't even show the alt on the wiring diagram. Does anyone know the wires by color, or possibly another way to tell them apart?
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I'd use the switched ignition wire from the radio harness. Easier to access once you pull the radio. And if you've got an aftermarket radio with a harness adapter, you can solder it into the harness adapter, so you don't molest the OEM wiring.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I got it all finished today. I got lucky as the other two wires actually matched up in color. So that helped out a lot.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

May I ask what 12v wire you connected too?
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I have a 20 amp relay boosting my headlights. I tapped into the wire that went to the battery from that. its before the relay so it dosen't bother the lights. So basically its just ran to the battery. That wire also had a fuse in it so that saved me the time of having to run the wire across the car. :D
The relay is from one of those cheap h.i.d kits. I figured it wouldn't work but without the little blue glass piece over the light they actually are brighter.
kmvmx3

Post by kmvmx3 »

I will also be doing this as soon as I can find one in the Junk yard. Time to upgrade your stereo now and throw in the a udp. Anyway ConGrat....
93 Purple X3 GS SE ... More Mod to come...
yvan

Post by yvan »

the ig lead can not be connected to a 12v source without a switch, its gotta be a key on enine off 12v supply.. not just plain 12v as this will cause a slow drain on the battery from the alternator itself, best place to hook it up is to tap into the wire from the connector of the distributor, its the 3 wire connector, the green wire.. thats all to it :P
93' blue mx-3, klze curve neck, kl36ecu, all the upgrade possible/out turbo.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:I just read a "how to" a friend of mine did one the local mx-3 forums.
he said to use the ignition so you have a 12v source just when you turn the key. Though he said he personnaly used the + on the battery and it works fine for him.
also I don't have a green wire going to my disty.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

this is probably posted somewhere but you guys seem to know what is going on so i'll ask it here. does the millenia alternator bolt right up to the k8?

i have a BPT and am running the b6 alternator (had to use the BP bracket). i'm looking to upgrade and want to use a millenia one because it puts out more amps and is cheaper. the k8 alternator is supposed to bolt right up to the b6. so if the millenia alt will bolt right up to the k8 it should work on my bpt right? do i need to change brackets?

i know i need to change to the 3 wire plug but that should be easy.

thanks.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

ryanlindenberg wrote:this is probably posted somewhere but you guys seem to know what is going on so i'll ask it here. does the millenia alternator bolt right up to the k8?

i have a BPT and am running the b6 alternator (had to use the BP bracket). i'm looking to upgrade and want to use a millenia one because it puts out more amps and is cheaper. the k8 alternator is supposed to bolt right up to the b6. so if the millenia alt will bolt right up to the k8 it should work on my bpt right? do i need to change brackets?

i know i need to change to the 3 wire plug but that should be easy.

thanks.
Yea you just need the bracket for the Millenia alt, and it should work, since the ZE and K8 are so similar. When I had my K8 alt on my ZE I had to use the K8 alt bracket, and when I put the millenia one on I simply switched to the bracket with it and everything went on fine.
Good Luck man and let us know how it turns out. :D
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i may have problems switching out the bracket. the b6 and bpt brackets are bolted to the block differently. that's why i had to keep my bpt bracket. how does the millenia bracket bolt up? my bpt just has 2 bolts. the bracket is pretty much just a flat piece of metal that looks kinda like this:

what was different between the k8 bracket and the millenia bracket that made you swap it out?

also what years of the millenia can i get the alternator from? i've read 95-96 but on ebay it looks like a bunch of years use the same alternator.

thanks again
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”