Getting my first MX-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Zenox

Getting my first MX-3

Post by Zenox »

Hi.

Next week im going to germany to by my first MX-3.

Is there anything i should be aware of when I by a MX-3? Any typical faults or weeknesses I should look for?

It's a 1993 MX-3 105000km, 3700 EURO.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.mobile.de/SIDxQfIlwP7CHHEsRR ... 201937982&
Zenox
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

MX-3 Mazda/Ford auto transmissions are known to be prone to have problems due to poorly engineered design of fluid circulation and poor ability to keep the tranny fluid from getting too hot - a prime killer of transmission life. The MX you're looking at has pretty low miles so that's good. If the auto trans. seems to be working correctly, and you buy this particular car, would recommend adding an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler. It's a pretty straightforward DIY install. The aux tranny cooler is like a miniature radiator for the tranny fluid that will greatly extend the transmission life.

g/l and welcome to the board.
Image -Jim
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

would recommend adding an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler. It's a pretty straightforward DIY install.
Theres plenty of info on this site for it.

Hopefully welcome to the clan! All the best :D
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

I think it looks like a good buy! Manual gearbox, low mileage and general good looks. As it is pretty old (almost 13 years), look out for rust, especially in the wheel-arcs and under the car.

Good to see another viking joining the community!

Good luck and welcome on board!
'92 GS
My worklog
Zenox

Post by Zenox »

thanks for answering :)

Low mile is the main reason why im going to Germany to by this car. In Norway you will not find any low mile mx3 (I've never seen one...). Norway is also a lot more expensive :cry: .

This car I want to by will cost me 65000 NOK (about 9.500 USD) after payed taxes, when I bring one from Germany. In Norway this car is worth 110000 NOK (about 16200 USD)...

Anyway, how much will an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler cost me? Do you have a link to where I could by it?
Zenox
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Zenox wrote:Anyway, how much will an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler cost me? Do you have a link to where I could by it?
You don't need it as neutral's post was concerning MX-3's with automatic transmission. As your particular car has manual transmission, it will be good for at least 160.000 km more. (That's what mine has gone now)
'92 GS
My worklog
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

You have a manual transmission, you shouldn't need a trans. cooler. I just purchased a low mileage 93 MX3 about 4 months ago and because I didn't need it as a daily driver, I took my time and improved or fixed the minor repairs that needed attention. Here is a list to look for
CV joints: they are a weak point, the previous owner replaced mine, so they were good
Timing belt/water pump/tensioner: If your previous owner didn't have this done, replace them immediately. Even with low miles, if the belt is original, it's almost 16 years old. If the belt breaks, the car won't run and possiblie cause engine damage.
Brake rotors/calipers and pads: Have them checked and replaced if needed. The calipers on MX3s have been known to go weak. Just check them.
Distributor: They are a weak point, but there's not much you can do preventive wise. Just keep in mind that if the ignition system starts to cause you problems, it's probubly the distributor. If the distributor does go bad, there are upgrades that you can perform, but I would wait to see if anything goes wrong with it. Some people perform the upgrade as a preventive measure. Just something to think about. I didn't upgrade on mine and so far, so good.
I know this sounds like alot, but most is just preventive maintenance, from my short time with my MX3, I love the car and it runs great, the engine is very strong and the 5 speed trans and clutch are powerful. Stay up on the maintenance of the car and you'll be very happy. Good luck
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Zenox wrote:thanks for answering :)
Anyway, how much will an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler cost me? Do you have a link to where I could by it?
Sorry, I was mistaken. My German is def not good and I thought the car's description of "gepflegtes Auto" meant an automatic transmission. I see that it really means "garaged car" and the interior pic shows this car to be a manual stickshift tranny. No problems there so forget everything I said in the above post. :oops:

Based on the market prices you talked about, and what appears to be a car in great looking shape, this looks like a nice deal if a test drive checks out and everything appears to work well.
Image -Jim
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

$4500US for a freaking 1993 MX3? Is that what used cars go for in Europe? Even a perfect condition 1993 wouldn't fetch $3500 here in a million years.
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

lakersfan1 wrote:$4500US for a freaking 1993 MX3? Is that what used cars go for in Europe? Even a perfect condition 1993 wouldn't fetch $3500 here in a million years.
Yup! Welcome to Europe! :wink:
'92 GS
My worklog
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

if the belt is original, it's almost 16 years old. If the belt breaks, the car won't run and possiblie cause engine damage.
it's a non-interference belt as far as i've learned :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
precidian

Post by precidian »

The enginge setup and not the belt determines if the engine is non-interference or not.
The V6 engine in the MX-3 is a non-interference engine. The pistons will not hit the valves if the belt breaks. Also try to get the service record for the car. That will indicate what has been replaced and when.
good luck.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

I knew as soon as I mentioned the timing belt might cause engine damage that I would be corrected about the interferance and non interference engine. You are correct it is a non interference engine, but I've heard of people that were on the expressway and the belt broke and it did cause engine damage. Why it caused damage, I'm not sure, but replacing the timing belt is very important for the engine to keep running.
I also forgot to mention that the front wheel bearings tend to go bad. My drivers side was bad, so I replaced both sides. It does require a shop to press the bearings out and the new ones in, so it can be a little costly, about $70.00 USD
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
Zenox

Post by Zenox »

precidian wrote:The enginge setup and not the belt determines if the engine is non-interference or not.
The V6 engine in the MX-3 is a non-interference engine. The pistons will not hit the valves if the belt breaks. Also try to get the service record for the car. That will indicate what has been replaced and when.
good luck.

I think the car has a full servicebook, so if he've done all the services, the timingbelt should also be changed. I know it's a non-interferance engine, just like the MX-5.

Is it possible that if the belt breaks at high speeds, the engine will be damaged anyway?
Zenox
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Zenox wrote: I think the car has a full servicebook, so if he've done all the services, the timingbelt should also be changed.
For the most part, buying any serviceable/certified car from Germany is usually a safe bet. There safty standards, rules, regulations, restrictions etc are very well controlled. IE, you may only install certain size tires and sometimes only certain brands are acceptable. Repair/servicing is not second rate, at least from what I've seen there and they do not cut corners in the slightest. Trying to find shops to do those "iffy" mods is nearly impossible. I believe there's a good reason why the Autobahn has an unlimited/minimum speed restrictions on it. Not to mention that most Germans will purchase highway insurance (ADAK??). In case you have a breakdown on the highways - something like CAA or AAA. If one doesn't have this insurance and breaks down on the highway, then expect a very very hefty fine. What that means is that there is an extreme consequence ($$$) for those that do not maintain their vehicles in TOP NOTCH shape. Buying a used car from Germany - a pretty safe move in my mind. Good luck and welcome to the family.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”