Stock Boost on BPT motor????

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
NickIreson

Stock Boost on BPT motor????

Post by NickIreson »

Anybody have any ideas what kind of boost a BPT puts out stock, and what that turbo is capable of putting out, and what other turbo is the easiest bolt up swap?

Thanks
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The BPT turbo is a IHI VJ-20 and I believe stock wastegate pressure is set around 7-8psi stock. Not sure what peak compressor efficency is capable of, I'd guess around 280HP but the outlet temps. would be pretty high. The easiest bolt on upgrade is a Corksport offering. They remove the VJ-20 center cartridge, mill the exhaust housing, and then stuff a Garrett GT-25R (dual ball bearing CRS) with a custom compressor wheel and housing to match your HP goals. Back when I was looking into bolt on upgrades for the VJ-14 Derrick @ Corksport said the largest I could go would support around 400HP (Compressor Flow). If your looking to replace the OEM turbo and manifold look to Shady Motorworks for custom parts.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

Although kinda rare and expensive, there is also a BPT VJ-23 turbo from the GTR. I beleive boost is set around 8-9psi.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

They say 7-8 but mine was always a minimum of 10 and even more with no boost controller. I believe the actual gtx has a solenoid that controls the boost level so it might actually be that low in a gtx.. but it wont be when you swap. :P
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea mine seems to vary a little bit. usually it puts out about 12 psi. sometimes it will hit 14.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Flinch

Stock psi

Post by Flinch »

my best friend has a BPT in his mazda 323 hatchback and he is runing stock psi of 13, its hauls. He has done nothing to the moter other than droping it in the car, get this he is using a 13x15x2 sidmount intercooler.

Return to “Forced Induction”