Torque vs. Horsepower

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Torque vs. Horsepower

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Hey, I am curious as to what exactly torque and horsepower are. I was told that there is better excelleration at max torque than at max horsepower. This seemed strange to me because it feals like I get a lot more excelleration at 6500rpm than at 4500rpm. I would really appreciate a discription of what torque and horsepower are.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You can find definitions of the two terms with Google. As for how they apply to your car.. well.. Torque is what gets you moving more or less. The higher your Torque.. the more force you have to spin your wheels. Horsepower is more of a measure of how much power your engine produces. Various things in our engines effect HP and Torque. Everything from VRIS points to Flywheel weight can make a difference.

The flywheel is a good example. A light flywheel will allow your engine to spin up faster and help produce more horsepower because there is less drag on your engine. A heavier flywheel will reduce HP but will increase low end torque due to the inertia of its rotational mass.

Basically.. Torque is what gets you moving.. Horsepower is sorta a measure of how quickly your engine will gain speed.

These are pretty crude descriptions.. others should be able to define it a bit better.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

Horse power is how long it takes a horse to carry a 100 pound bucket up a shaft a given distance, or something like that. A very arbitrary number. Torque is how many pounds of thrust are exerted per square foot of contact patch. Hence torque being measured in pound/feet.
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
http://www.streetsweepersracing.com
precidian

Post by precidian »

Main Entry: horse·pow·er
Pronunciation: 'hors-"pau(-&)r
Function: noun
1 : the power that a horse exerts in pulling
2 : a unit of power equal in the U.S. to 746 watts and nearly equivalent to the English gravitational unit of the same name that equals 550 foot-pounds of work per second

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm

Main Entry: torque
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin torquEre to twist
1 : a force that produces or tends to produce rotation or torsion <an automobile engine delivers torque to the drive shaft>; also : a measure of the effectiveness of such a force that consists of the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the axis of rotation
2 : a turning or twisting force

http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte4.htm
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Torque is how much work the motor can do, HP is how fast it can do that amont of work.
That is the best and easiest to understand explination I've ever heard.
So they both play a role in the speed and acceleration. They both play a role in how much a motor can pull, except that more torque is usually wanted b/c then the motor has a higher workload capacity.
So you cuold have 1000 ft/lbs of torque and only 1 hp, but it would take forever to get the motor to acutally do 1000 ft/lbs of work. You could have 1000 HP and only 1 ft/lb of torque and the motor would scream up to the point where it needed more than 1 ft/lb to do extra work.
:idea:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Torque is a movie with Ice Cube in it...
Horsepower is an incredible horse, that can bite the hell out of some sugar cubes...

Notice Torque, and Horsepower have something in common....Cubes

I thought a generally good answer is that torque is power rotating and horsepower is forced or combustable power...
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i was kind of always wondering.. as our engines get older do they lose power?? how much power would i be losing from a k8 that has 180km on it??
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

10001 ponies no one can no that answer :lol: everyone runs there motor differently some might grandma there motor and take really good care of it and have the same amount of power as they did when the motor was brand new
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Only way to measure the power loss would be to dyno it fresh and then dyno it over time.

The answer is yes our engines lose power over time for various reasons.. valves not fully seating, compression rings wearing out.. anything that can cause a loss of compression will cause an equal loss of power. Also as our engines wear.. friction increases in areas.. friction equals increased drag and this also saps power. Usually with proper maintenance.. this power loss is largely unnoticed until something major goes bad and we consider either writing the engine off as done or we rebuild it.

Proper oil changes & tune ups help any engine live a longer life.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Horse Power sells cars
Torque wins races

Not all cars need a crapload of torque though. As long as your car is light, you wont need 302ft torque to run low 14s at the 1/4mile. Its very common for imports (espically CRXs and Integras) to have something like 190hp/115ft torque and be able to run low/high 14s (CRXs). Well ofcourse, thats because those two cars a pretty light espically the CRX (2000lbs) unlike Mustangs or Camaros that weigh 3500lbs
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”